Hatfield breaks own record at Louisville Classic

Number+584%2C+Dustin+Hatfield+a+redshirt+senior+runs+in+the+NCAA+Cross+Country+Championship+last+year%2C+Nov.+20%2C+in+Apalachee+State+Park+in+Tallahassee%2C+Fla.+Hatinfield+ran+the+10K+and+placed+77+with+a+time+of+29%3A59.9%2C+where+he+became+the+second+highest+Eastern+finisher+in+school+history.+

Tim Doyle | Eastern Illinois University Athletics

Number 584, Dustin Hatfield a redshirt senior runs in the NCAA Cross Country Championship last year, Nov. 20, in Apalachee State Park in Tallahassee, Fla. Hatinfield ran the 10K and placed 77 with a time of 29:59.9, where he became the second highest Eastern finisher in school history.

Dylan Meek, Cross Country Reporter

After setting the school record in the 8K at last year at the Louisville Classic, graduate student Dustin Hatfield did it again, finishing 5th out of 301 in the men’s race and breaking his record he set last year at 23:26 by two seconds.  

As a team, the men finished 13th out of 31 schools in one of the largest meets of the year. 

Adam Swanson finished 66th with a time of 24:27, a new personal record for him, Richie Jacobo also had a new personal best, finishing 78th with a time of 24:36.  

As a team, the men’s side had eight runners with new personal records. 

The finishing top three for Eastern was Josh Whittaker and Andrew Pilat finishing 118th with a time of 24:56 also a personal record, and Pilat finished 131st with a time of 25:01.  

Overall, Tanner Chada of Grand Valley State won the meet with a time of 23:18, Ryan Kinnane of Auburn was second with a time of 23:21:6, barely edging Milo Greder of Cincinatti who finished third with a time of 23:21:7, and a few seconds behind was his teammate Tyler Wirth finishing 4th with a time of 23:26. 

For the team, Grand Valley State won the meet with 104 points, finishing second was Lee Tennessee with 113 points, and Miami Ohio finished third with 150 points. 

Eastern finished 13th as a team with 379 points.  

On the women’s side in the 5K, with 373 competitors, Kate Bushue led the way for Eastern finishing 59th with a time of 17:44. 

Sarah Carr finished 146th with a time of 18:24, a personal record.  

Katie Springer finished 157th with a time of 18:28, also a personal record for her. 

Mackenzie Aldridge and Sam Mabry rounded the top five for Eastern finishing 185th and 213th with times of 18:37 and 18:53 personal records for both.  

As a team, the women had seven runners with new personal records. As a team, Eastern finished 26th out of 41 teams with 708 points. 

Ceili McCabe of West Virgina won the meet for the second straight year with a time of 16:23 winning by 13 seconds over Bethany Graham of Furman at 16:36, followed by Carmen Riano of Miami Ohio at 16:42, fourth place  

Mikaela Lucki of West Virgina had a time of 16:50,and Abigail Robertson of Furman finished in the top five at a time of 16:52.  

For the teams Furman won the meet with 44 points, followed by West Virgina with 92, and Grand Valley State with 132 points. 

Up next Eastern will try to continue their success from this meet with a trip to Peoria for the Bradley Pink Invite on Oct.14. 

Dylan Meek can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]