City Council approves $101K for Sister City Park fencing

Charleston Mayor Brandon Combs stacks his papers while after reading an ordinance for regulating low-speed gas-powered bicycles during the City Council meeting Tuesday evening at City Hall.

Kyara Morales-Rodriguez, Campus Reporter

The Charleston City Council unanimously approved a bid award for the construction of a chain link fence at the Sister City Phase II Facility for $101,231 Tuesday evening. The bid was awarded to BJ’s Fencing. 

The council also approved a change for the Wastewater Treatment Plant Nutrient Removal Project which includes $27,034 of added expense.  

Charleston Mayor Brandon Combs said that this change order “needs to be done in order to allow for a bypass connection for the main lift stations, so that we can perform inspections and maintenance inside the actual lift station.” 

Combs said that in the past, they have not been able to do so and “this change order is a solution to the problem.” 

The council also unanimously approved a payment of a cubic yard surcharge of $6 for concrete materials. 

The surcharge was proposed due to the inflation of construction materials used to make the concrete. 

The low bid for concrete was $119.75 per cubic yard from Mid Illinois Concrete, so the new unit price is $125.75 per cubic yard.  

The council also approved some items for upcoming street closures.  

The council approved the street closure for an outdoor band event at the Uptowner/Cellar on Sunday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. 

The locations that will be closed to traffic are 7th St from the north side of Monroe Ave to the south side of Madison Ave.  

The council also unanimously approved the street closure for the EIU Homecoming Parade on Oct. 15. from 5 a.m. to noon.

The following streets will be closed from parking and traffic for the parade staging area: 

• 9th St from Lincoln Ave to Roosevelt Ave 
  • Grant Ave between 7th St and 9th St 
  • 7th St from Grant Ave to Lincoln Ave  

The following street will be closed to southbound traffic: 

• 7th St from Madison Ave to Monroe Ave  

The following streets will be closed to parking and traffic: 

• 7th St from Lincoln Ave to Monroe Ave 
  • Monroe Ave from 7th St to 6th St 
  • Jackson Ave from 6th St to 7th St 
  • 6th St from Monroe Ave to Polk Ave 
  • Polk Ave from 6th St to Division St 
  • Division St from Polk Ave to Grant Ave 

The council also unanimously approved the street closure for the Scare on the Square Event and Canine Costume Party. 

These events will be held Oct. 28 from 4:30 to 9 p.m. 

The locations that will be closed are Jackson Ave from 5th St to 8th St, 7th St from VanBuren Ave to Madison Ave, Monroe Ave from 5th to 8th and 6th St from Madison Ave to Jackson Ave.  

The ordinance adding Chapter 6: Regulating Low-Speed Gas-Powered Bicycles to Title 6 of the City of Charleston Code of Ordinances was also unanimously approved. 

Any Charleston resident who owns and operates a low-speed gas-powered bicycle needs to register it with the Charleston Police Department starting Nov. 1.  

“The use and operation of low-speed gas-powered bicycles within the city has drastically increased in the recent years, and such low-speed gas-powered bicycles present a unique issue with regards to traffic enforcement, regulation and overall safety,” Combs said.  

Combs said that for the safety of Charleston residents, it is in the city’s best interest “to create a registry of low-speed gas bicycles and to regulate their use and operation within the city limits.” 

Combs also announced that the trick or treat hours will be 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Oct. 31.  

Kyara Morales-Rodriguez can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].