Presidential Search Committee aims to meet early September

A profile shot of University President David Glassman at his desk in the Presidental Office in Old Main on Monday.

Rob Le Cates, Editor-in-Chief

Eastern’s Presidential Search Committee hopes to have its first meeting in early September to find a replacement for current University President David Glassman, whose contract will expire in June of next year.

The committee is comprised of stakeholders across campus including students and faculty and community representatives.

Invitations to serve on the committee should be sent out via email sometime this week.

Below is a list of 20 proposed members for the committee:

• Joyce Madigan, Trustee
  • Barb Baurer, Trustee
  • P.J. Thompson, Trustee 
  • Conner Mellott, Student Trustee-Elect 
  • Laretta Henderson, Academic Affairs 
  • Vernon Woodley, Department Chair
  • Lucy Ade, Student Senate President 
  • Tony Craven, Staff Senate, or his designee 
  • Danielle Green, Business Affairs
  • Jody Stone, Student Affairs 
  • Todd Bruns, Jeff Stowell and Nichole Mulvey, Faculty Senate or their designees 
  • Toqeer Israr, Faculty 
  • Tonya Sawyer, Intercollegiate Athletics 
  • Jill Nilsen, EIU Foundation 
  • Nancy Dole, Annuitant Association 
  • Mary Ann Hanner, Alumni Board 
  • Brandon Combs, Community Representative 
  • Laura McLaughlin, Ex Officio

At the Board of Trustees Retreat last month, the BOT approved a search firm to find presidential candidates. Currently, the contract is still being worked on.

Sometime in September, the committee will work with the search firm to develop an advertisement for the opening.

Before releasing the ad, the committee will host forums around campus, including faculty and students, to hear what is wanted in the next president.

After the ad is created, the search firm will reach out to potential candidates; candidates can apply themselves or be nominated.

Throughout the year, the committee will then identify and interview finalists for the presidential position.

Eastern’s General Council Laura McLaughlin said the search typically lasts until late winter or early spring.

Rob Le Cates is a sophomore journalism major. He can be reached at 217-581-2812 or at [email protected].