University facilities, classes observe Juneteenth

Josh Saxton

The gates of the castle outside of Old Main could be seen Wednesday afternoon where the Lantanas are in bloom. Part of Levi Lee’s job as Grounds Gardener is selecting the annual flower beds. He is in charge of selecting the plants for different areas across campus from Old Main to Greek Court.

Rob Le Cates, Editor-in-Chief

In a faculty email sent on Thursday, University President David Glassman announced that Eastern will observe Juneteenth on Monday, canceling classes and closing University offices.

In November of last year, at the Board of Trustees meeting, the board approved the closure of all University facilities on Juneteenth, when it falls on a weekday.

Originally celebrated on June 19, 1866, in Texas, the holiday commemorates the first anniversary of the day that African Americans learned they were free more than two years after the Emancipation Proclamation was signed. 

Although University offices will be closed and classes canceled, Transfer Day Orientation, the Minority Teacher Identification and Enrichment Program, the Golden Apple program and various other camps and conferences will continue through the holiday.

The University has identified the Doudna Fine Arts Center, the Student Rec Center, the University Union, Buzzard Hall, Lantz Gymnasium, residence halls and dining facilities as requiring some level of support on the holiday.

Rob Le Cates is a sophomore journalism major. He can be reached at 217-581-2812 or at [email protected].