City Council approves of 189,468 ozone generator rebuild

Councilman+Dennis+Malak+steps+up+for+Charleston+Mayor+Brandon+Combs%2C+who+was+absent+at+the+City+Council+meeting+on+Mar.+1+at+City+Hall.+Malak+is+addressing+the+public+to+see+if+there+is+any+audience+presentation.+At+the+meeting+the+Council+stopped+declaring+a+local+state+of+emergency+because+of+the+state-wide+lift+on+mask+requirements.+

Councilman Dennis Malak steps up for Charleston Mayor Brandon Combs, who was absent at the City Council meeting on Mar. 1 at City Hall. Malak is addressing the public to see if there is any audience presentation. At the meeting the Council stopped declaring a local state of emergency because of the state-wide lift on mask requirements.

Rob Le Cates, Editor-in-Chief

The Charleston City Council voted 4-0 in favor of the $189,468 ozone generator rebuild at the water treatment plant during Tuesday night’s meeting.

The old generator has served the plant for more than 17 years, with its manufacturer, Mitsubishi Electric, discontinuing service in the United States.

Ozone is a gas commonly used in oxidizing and eliminating contaminants found in water.

The Council approved re-obligating $200,000 in water-sewer funds for fiscal year 2023 to purchase previously needed equipment.

The old funds were for pipe construction, but after a conversation with contractors, the city would benefit from a larger-scale project.

The soon-to-be-purchased equipment was invoiced in fiscal year 2022 but wasn’t purchased due to complications. The pipe construction is projected to be conducted during fiscal year 2024.

With the re-obligated funds, the purchase of a Ford F450 at $62,000, a Ford F250 at $37,000, a push camera to help service pipes at $15,000, $43,000 software and computer upgrades and phase one of cleaning out the sedimentation basin.

The Council approved adding a stop sign at Retriever Run and Red Bud Road.

The Council approved several street closures for the Fourth of July celebrations on July 2, 3 and 4.

The Habitat for Humanity Foot Race will start at 8:00 a.m. and go throughout Charleston. A link to the track with the street closures can be viewed here.

The street closures for the Red, White and Blue Days festivities will take place from July 2 to July 4.

• On July 2, 2nd Street from Lincoln Avenue to Pierce Avenue will be closed from 7:00 am to 3:00 p.m.
  • On July 3, 2nd Street from Lincoln Avenue to Pierce Avenue will be closed from 11:00 am to 6:00 p.m.
  • On July 4, Monroe Avenue from 6th Street to 7th Street, Jackson Avenue from 5th Street to 7th Street, 7th Street from Jackson Avenue to Monroe Avenue, 6th Street from Monroe Avenue to Polk Avenue, Polk Avenue from 6th Street to Division Street and Division Street from Polk Avenue to Grant Avenue.

The Council authorized the Charleston Fire Department to dispose of surplus equipment.

The fire department bought new self-contained breathing apparatus units (SCBA) in November, and the new equipment isn’t compatible. The new equipment will be donated to the University of Illinois Board of Trustees/ Illinois Fire Service Institute in return for two seats for an upcoming fire academy.

The mayor appointed Rich Wandling and Brian Nordin to a three-year term on the Charleston Tree Commission and Andreea Chiritescu to a three-year term on the Charleston Carnegie Public Library Board of Trustees.

Rob Le Cates is a sophomore journalism major. He can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].