Panthers lose weekend series against Belmont

Eastern+pitcher+Hayden+Birdsong+releases+a+pitch+against+Murray+State+on+April+22+at+Laker+Baseball+Field+in+Mattoon.+Birdsong+pitched+five+innings+of+relief%2C+allowing+just+one+run+while+striking+out+a+season-high+nine+batters.+Eastern+lost+the+game+17-10.+

Adam Tumino

Eastern pitcher Hayden Birdsong releases a pitch against Murray State on April 22 at Laker Baseball Field in Mattoon. Birdsong pitched five innings of relief, allowing just one run while striking out a season-high nine batters. Eastern lost the game 17-10.

Autumn Schulz, Sports Editor

The Eastern baseball team could not avoid the sweep Sunday afternoon against Belmont as they dropped the third game 5-3.  

The Panthers are fourth in the OVC with a record of 10-11 and an overall record of 34-17. The Bruins continue to secure the first seed spot as they are 16-5 in OVC play with an overall record of 35-17. 

Senior right-hander Ky Matthews Hampton got the start for the Panthers, pitching three innings allowing four hits, two runs, and four strikeouts. Redshirt sophomore Chaney Trout took the loss in the seventh inning after he allowed three runs. 

The Panthers managed to outhit the Bruins ten to eight but left nine runners stranded throughout the contest. Lucas DiLuca continued to shine for the Panthers this weekend as he went 3-for-5 with an RBI. Sean Lynch Jr. went 1-for-2 with two RBIs to contribute.  

The Panthers will host the remaining four games of the season at Coaches Stadium, starting off with Western Illinois for Senior Day on Tuesday at 3 p.m.

Autumn Schulz can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].