Panthers baseball lose game one of weekend series against Belmont

File Photo | The Daily Eastern News

Eastern pitcher Kyle Lang winds up for a pitch against Bellarmine on March 9, 2021, at Coaches Field. Lang pitched a season-high 7 innings, allowing 6 hits and 1 run in an 8-1 Eastern win.

Autumn Schulz, Sports Editor

The Eastern baseball team lost 9-5 against Belmont Friday evening to open up a three-game weekend series in Nashville, Tennessee.

The Panthers are now 10-9 in conference play and 30-16 overall. Looking ahead, the Panthers have five OVC games left in the regular season. 

Senior left-hander Trevor Nicholson started on the mound for the Panthers with seven earned runs and three strikeouts through two innings. Junior right-hander Jesse Wainscott then took over, pitching seven innings, allowing two hits with seven strikeouts.  

At the plate, the Panthers rallied behind two veteran players. Junior outfielder Logan Eickhoff went 3-for-5 and had one RBI. Redshirt-senior Nathan Aide was 2-for-5 with 2 RBIs. 

The Panthers also relied on some younger players in the middle of their lineup as redshirt-sophomore Nicholas Rucker was 4-for-1 with one RBI and freshman Chris Worcester was 3-for-2 with one RBI. 

Game two of the series will start tomorrow afternoon at 2:00 p.m.