CAA approves eliminating recreation admin program

Council of Academic Affairs Chairperson Richard Wilkinson asks for a motion to open a period of discussion during the Thursday afternoon, April 28, 2022, CAA meeting at the Witters Conference Room.

Madelyn Kidd, News Editor

The Council of Academic Affairs unanimously approved the elimination of two majors on Thursday afternoon in the Witters Conference Room in Booth Library.

CAA approved the elimination of the recreation administration major and the recreation administration with a concentration in therapeutic recreation effective immediately.

Current students in the program can still complete the program. Future students will have courses involving recreation administration as revised courses integrated into the sports management program.

Many of the courses will be revised to be integrated into the sports management program.

The reasoning for eliminating the program is lack of enrollment.

In both majors there are on average one to three students in the program. Faculty and employees in the program have discussed with the sport management program on integrating the recreation administration program into the sport management program.

CAA unanimously unanimously approved the teach out plans implemented for potential Lincoln College transfers after the university announced it would be closing at the end of their spring 2022 semester.

The teach out plans for Lincoln College transfers will allow as many credits as possible from Lincoln College to count as credit at Eastern and allow the transfers to graduate from Eastern with a lesser amount of credit hours needed to graduate from Eastern.

CAA unanimously approved revisions to the Rn to CNA nursing program.
The revisions include changing the wording of the program requirements to be clearer, and added the option for students to appeal their dismissal from the program.

CAA unanimously approved revisions to the Introduction to Speech Communications, Honors course, CMN-1390G.

The revisions made were to update the description of the course from when it was last changed. 

CAA unanimously approved revisions to the kinesiology, sport and recreation minor.

The revisions made were to include the approved changes made to the kinesiology, sport and recreation major.

This includes removing the course KSR-2135 since it is no longer offered, and to include the two new courses KSR-1600 and KSR-1692.

Despite the original plan of this week’s meeting being the last for the semester, new agenda items led to the CAA meeting next week on Thursday at 10:15 a.m.

Madelyn Kidd can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].