Greek week comes to an end with awards ceremony

Elizabeth Wood

Members of Delta Zeta compete against the opposing team during Tugs for Greek Week at the Campus Pond Wednesday afternoon.

Katja Benz, Student Government Reporter

Various fraternities and sororities received awards to wrap up Greek week at the Fraternity and Sorority Awards ceremony on Sunday night.

There were awards for Interfraternity Council, IFC, Panhellenic Council, PHC, and National Pan-hellenic Council, NPHC.

Karen Gonski, a senior psychology and human services double major, member of Kappa Delta and former president of Panhellenic Council, won PHC Sorority of the Year.

Gonski said that she felt like all of her hard work had paid off.

“For me, I think it was like all my hard work paid off,” Gonski said. “And that not even hard work paid off, but just feeling that I did make that impact on the community because that was my biggest goal. When I stepped into my presidency I wanted people to understand that I was there for them, that I wanted to hear everyone’s voice. I wanted to be fair, I wanted to be equal. I wanted just everyone to have a hand in because without every single individual of this community, we wouldn’t be a community. So being able to represent that and then also being awarded that award gives me that sense of I accomplished what I was supposed to do.”

Michael Barth, a junior physical education major and president of Sigma Phi Epsilon, won IFC Fraternity man of the year.

Barth said that being president is a big role.

“I would say it’s very stressful, and it’s a lot of pressure,” Barth said. “(You) kind of feel a lot of weight on your back at times, holding people accountable. But at the same time, trying to make everyone happy in a way but realizing that that’s not possible, having to make hard decisions. But overall, I’d say it’s one of the most rewarding things I’ve ever done. And I also wouldn’t trade it for the world, and it’s been a great experience.”

Gonski, who had a similar role in overseeing all the Panhellenic Council sororities, agrees.

“Well, for the entire community, I think it’s a really big role,” Gonski said. “You have eyes on you all the time, you’re a role model all the time. And then just really understanding that purpose of serving the greater good of the community. And I think that was one of my most favorite roles was being able to be that spokesperson for the community and making sure that every chapter had a voice and almost every member had a voice. And that’s what I really prided myself on because I wanted to make sure that every chapter had a voice.”

Barth said that he felt validated in getting his award, and like all of his hard work paid off.

“I would just say I was very happy just because it validated all the things I’ve been planning and wanting to accomplish over the last year,” Barth said. “So yeah, I just felt really happy.”

Katja Benz can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].