Rural King CEO to visit Eastern, more this week

Cam'ron Hardy, Campus Reporter

Editor’s note: This article has been corrected to reflect that only employees are invited to attend the Employee Appreciation Picnic. The News regrets the error.

At Eastern this week, the CEO of Rural King will lead a lecture on Tuesday, Booth Library’s Spring Book Sale on Wednesday and Lovell Shoe Repair tour on Friday.

Freshman Connection LLC will be hosting a career exploration event Monday at 7 p.m. in the Lawrence Hall Lobby.  

The English department will be hosting a hybrid lecture Touching the Past in a Radio Adaptation of Octavia E. Butler’s Kindred Tuesday from 4 p.m. until 5:30 p.m. in Coleman Hall Auditorium or on Zoom. 

Andre Carrington, an associate professor of English at the University of California Riverside, will give a virtual talk on the topic.  

Attendees either have the option of joining online via zoom, or meeting in Coleman Hall room 1255.

Michael Gillespie, Eastern’s director of faculty development and innovation center (FDIC) and a professor of sociology, will be hosting Looking Back, Moving Forward Tuesday from 4 p.m. until 5:30 p.m. at the Campus Pond Pavilion.  

The purpose of the event is to reconnect and socialize about the past two years and how faculty and instructors plan on moving forward. 

You must preregister on the FDIC website to attend.

Steve Brantley, librarian and head of research, engagement and scholarship, and Carole Collins Ayanlaja, assistant professor of educational leadership, will be moderating an open discussion regarding race.  

The event will take place Tuesday from 4:30 p.m. until 6:30 p.m. in the West Reading Room in Booth Library.

Alex Melvin, the CEO of Rural King, will be hosting an Innovation & Entrepreneurship Like Kings event Tuesday from 6 p.m. until 7 p.m. in Roberson Auditorium located in Lumpkin Hall. 

Melvin will discuss the inside story of innovation and entrepreneurship in a multibillion-dollar retail company, here in Central Illinois.  

Doug Quick, longtime local broadcaster, will be hosting Pictures on the Prairie: The Early Days of Local TV in Mid-Illinois, a multimedia lecture about his extensive research into and knowledge of the history of local television in Central Illinois.  

He will focus on the first ten years of local TV broadcasting.  

The event will take place Tuesday from 7 p.m. until 9 p.m. in Buzzard Auditorium.

On Wednesday, Booth Library has a Spring Book Sale from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. The previously outdoor event has been moved to inside Booth Library in the West Reading Room because of the weather forecast for Wednesday.

An employee appreciation picnic will be held Wednesday from 11:30 a.m. until 1:30 p.m. in North Quad.  

Employees are invited to enjoy hamburgers, chips, hotdogs, cookies and soda and to celebrate spring.  

Four candidates will be doing on campus interviews for the director of Martin Luther King Jr. University Union position.  

Open sessions will be held April 13, 14, 19 and 20 from 1:15 p.m. until 2 p.m. in the Oakland Room of the Union.  

Students are encouraged to give feedback on the candidates, especially those who interact with the Union operation.  

Open Educational Resources (OER): Why Students Need Them, How to Find Then, and How to Build and Share Them will take place Thursday from 12 p.m. until 1 p.m. 

The event will be held online via zoom. 

ReST will be hosting a healing gallery Thursday from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. in the Union Bridge Lounge.  

Students will have the opportunity to make crafts and gain information on mindfulness, resilience and sexual assault awareness month.  

Camden Burd, an assistant professor in the history department, will be having a discussion at the Civic Action Hour, which will be held Thursday from 2 p.m. until 3 p.m. 

The event will focus on the issue of climate change and its place on modern politics.  

A field trip to Lovell Shoe Repair will take place Thursday at 9 a.m.

On the field trip, you will learn what equipment the shop uses and some tricks of the leather-smithing trade.  

Cam’ron Hardy can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].