CAA approves new English course

Council+of+Academic+Affairs+member+Kiran+Padmaraju+motions+in+favor+of+adding+an+item+to+the+agenda+at+the+Oct.+28+meeting.+The+council+voted+on+a+proposed+departmental+honors+program+for+the+Department+of+Human+Services+and+Community+Leadership+with+all+present+members+approving.+

Council of Academic Affairs member Kiran Padmaraju motions in favor of adding an item to the agenda at the Oct. 28 meeting. The council voted on a proposed departmental honors program for the Department of Human Services and Community Leadership with all present members approving.

Madelyn Kidd, News Editor

The Council of Academic Affairs approved unanimously for a new English course at Eastern on Thursday.

CAA approved the new English course, ENG-2706G Latin American and Latinx Literatures, to begin in the 2022 fall semester.

The course is an introduction to Latin American and Latinx Literature while studying the sociocultural and historical contexts with various authors.

The course was approved unanimously by CAA with revisions.

CAA approved unanimously to revisions to the English program.

CAA approved revisions to Eastern’s English program to include other approved course changes from today’s meeting and to include a change in the senior seminar requirement to graduate.

The change made with the senior seminar is for the inclusion that the course ENG-4300 satisfies the senior seminar requirement for an English degree.

CAA approved the program changes unanimously with revisions.

CAA approved unanimously to revisions to three English courses.

The three courses are: ENG-4300 English Studies Capstone, ENG-2504G Film and Literature and ENG-2705G African American and Africana Literatures.

The English Studies Capstone changes are to change the course to fulfill the senior seminar requirement to graduate with a degree in English.

With the approval of the capstone course, the course ENG-3300 Seminar in English Studies will be removed from the available courses list.

The Film and Literature course revisions were made to update any current English general ed course options for English majors.

Similar to the Film and Literature course, the African American and Africana Literatures course was also updated as an English elective course for students.

The changes to all three courses were approved unanimously by CAA with further revisions.

CAA approved three minor revisions within the English department for the English studies minor, creative writing minor and the literacy and cultural studies minor.

The English studies minor revisions include updating the minor to reflect the replacement of Seminar in English Studies with the newly revised English Studies Capstone as an English major core course appropriate for the required course of this minor.

The creative writing minor revisions include updating the minor to account for the course number change from ENG-3504 to Film and Literature.

The final minor revised was the literacy and cultural studies minor.

The changes to the minor include updating the minor to include the course number change from ENG-3504 to ENG-2504G for Film and Literature and from ENG-2705 to ENG-2705G for African American and Africana Literatures, as well as adding the additional course Latin American and Latinx Literatures.

All of these changes were approved unanimously with revisions by CAA. 

Madelyn Kidd can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].