More African American Heritage Month events, more this week on campus

Ryan Meyer, Multimedia Reporter

Eastern’s campus has a busy week coming up with events happening Monday through Sunday including the African American Leadership Awards, the 50th annual Ms. Black EIU pageant and others.

As part of African-American Heritage Month, there will be a 6:20 p.m. showing of the film “Selma” in the Phipps Lecture Hall of the Physical Science Building on Monday night. 

The hair salon in the Martin Luther King, Jr. University Union reopens from 11a.m. to 2 p.m. on Tuesday. Civic Action Hour will also be in the Union, in the Grand Ballroom at 1:30 p.m. 

Intro to MindFULLness will be at 6 p.m. in the Mattoon/Charleston room of the Union.  

Wrapping up Tuesday, are the African-American Leadership Awards at 6:30 p.m. at the University Ballroom in the Union. 

On Wednesday, Cleopatra’s World will be held in the Student Innovation Center in Booth Library at 2 p.m., and Cleopatra: The Myth and the Reality will be at 4 p.m. in Doudna’s lecture hall.  

There will be yoga in Pemberton’s Grand Room at 5 p.m on Wednesday. 

Wednesday will conclude with Afro-Latinos Trivia Night at 7 p.m. in the Martinsville room of the Union.  

Voices in Progress: Untold Truth ABC’s of Black History, an African-American Heritage Month event, will take place Thursday at 6 p.m. in the Coleman Hall auditorium. 

On Thursday, the Dvorak Concert Hall will host a jazz combo performance at 7:30 p.m., and Hello Dali will perform at 8 p.m. across the hall in Doudna’s lecture hall. 

Art Speaks, a lecture with artist Rafael Vera and composer Victor Marquez Barrios, is at 2 p.m. in Tarble on Friday.  

There will be self-massage and relaxation at 6 p.m. Friday in the Stevenson lobby to wrap up the school week.  

Saturday will start with a Literacy and Learning conference from 9 a.m. to noon in Buzzard Hall.  

The Ms. Black EIU Pageant will celebrate its 50th anniversary and take place in the Grand Ballroom in the Union at 7 p.m. Saturday.  

Eastern student musicians, Marquez Barrios and Vera will collaborate on Saturday evening at 7:30 p.m. in Doudna’s Black Box as part of the performance “The Visitor.” 

The final musical performance of the week will be Eastern’s symphony orchestra at 4 p.m. in the Dvorak Concert Hall on Sunday.

The week concludes with the EIU Glow Plunge at 6 p.m. Sunday. Registration is from 4:30 to 5:45 p.m. at the Campus Pond. 

Ryan Meyer can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].