Working Artists art exhibit opens in Tarble

Tarble+Arts+Center+Assistant+Director+and+Exhibitions+Curator+Mike+Schuetz%2C+looks+at+the+Abraham+Lincoln+Biography%2C+in+woodcuts+that+is+part+of+the+Working+Artists+Exhibit+on+Feb.+14.+

Iyanna Stanton

Tarble Arts Center Assistant Director and Exhibitions Curator Mike Schuetz, looks at the Abraham Lincoln Biography, in woodcuts that is part of the Working Artists Exhibit on Feb. 14.

Adriana Hernandez-Santana, Campus Reporter

One of Tarble Arts Center’s newest art exhibits, Working Artists, opened Monday and will be at Tarble until March 26.

With the Working Artists exhibit, the art works are selections from Tarble’s permanent collection.

Looking at the lithograph Mexican Harvest by Marion Greenwood, a large bundle of straw is being carried by a woman in a triangular-shaped hat. She is depicted with a very dark shape for her eyes and a somewhat stern facial expression. 

One takes a step back to look at the entire image, a large field of hay is displayed. Upon further inspection, all the people in the image are women and men who seem to be laboring over collecting straw. 

Few individuals are even depicted using donkeys to help with the load. In the back, one can see the mountains that move on and on into the distance. 

While this work of art may contain sharper and darker images, it can still be enjoyed by those who understand labor and hard work. 

The second piece of art, created by Samuel L. Margolies, is titled Men of Steel. 

Although the name is famous on its own, over the years it gained so much popularity that it ended up developing a second title, Builders of Babylon. 

Having the image being set in the 1940’s, it showcases two men working on a large steel beam during the Great Depression. 

The two men are dressed in matching attire, consisting of collared shirts,overalls, a pair of gloves, and a worker cap. What makes this image so incredible and death-defying is the idea that there is no safety net. 

The only “safety net” that they have is a wooden plank that is tied to the very metal beam that they are attaching to the building. It’s scary, but it seems like falling is the least of their worries. 

These two men are literally putting their lives on the line to finish this building. They need the money, and will stop at nothing to ensure they receive it. 

Another detail that really adds to the effect of the jaw-dropping being is the skyscrapers in the background. It’s something so minor, but it really adds to the overall effect. 

While just reading about these images may be interesting, the only way to truly understand the meaning behind them is to see them for yourself. 

However, if you find yourself wanting even more information about the art piece, Eastern’s students enrolled in Public History have created a podcast to listen to while you observe the art for yourself.

Talking about the history and where the art was created, viewers of all ages can truly learn and appreciate the art works.

Adriana Hernandez-Santana can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].