Author to speak at Eastern’s Lions in Winter Literacy Festival

Event flyer provided by the English department.

Madelyn Kidd, News Editor

The author of “Savage Appetites: True Stories of Women, Crime, and Obsession” is the speaker for the English department’s Lions in Winter Literacy Festival on Wednesday at 5 p.m. virtually through Crowdcast.

The author, Rachel Monroe, will be speaking at the Literacy Festival from 5 to 7 p.m. virtually at http://www.crowdcast.io/e/lions-in-winter-rachel-monroe

The first hour of the event is an author reading, and the second half is a craft talk.

The event is free and open to the public.

“Savage Appetites: True Stories of Women, Crime, and Obsession” was named New York Times Editor’s Choice and best book of the year by Chicago Tribune and Esquire.

“Savage Appetites: True Stories of Women, Crime, and Obsession” was published on July 7, 2020, and is Monroe’s only published book.

Monroe is a freelance writer, journalist, occasional radio host and volunteer firefighter where she lives in Marfa, Texas.

Monroe freelance writes and reports on a variety of topics including crime, firefighters and fires, haunted houses, border issues and others.

In “Savage Appetites: True Stories of Women, Crime, and Obsession,” Monroe tells the story of four true stories each about a woman driven by obsession. Within these four stories, Monroe links the four criminal roles, the detective, victim, defender and killer.

“Savage Appetites: True Stories of Women, Crime, and Obsession” involves women and their obsession with true crime while including American crime history, forensic science and an investigation into the current violence and media and how those affect the interest in true crime in America.

Last semester, Lions in Winter featured Brenda Peynado, the author of “THE ROCK EATERS,” virtually on Dec. 3, 2021.

For the 2020-21 academic year, Lions in Winter featured Brandon Hobson, author of “Where the Dead Sit Talking,” on Dec. 4, 2020, Joy Harjo, author of “An American Sunrise: Poems,” on Jan. 30, 2021 and Joan Kane, author of seven poetry collections, on Feb. 4, 2021.

All of these listed previous Lions in Winter events were held virtually through Crowdcast.

Madelyn Kidd can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].