Naming Committee to prepare Douglas Hall renaming recommendation Thursday

Corryn Brock

Ken Wetstein, ex-officio convener of the Naming Committee, discusses what the next steps in the naming process will look like.

Corryn Brock, Editor-in-Chief

Eastern’s Naming Committee will finalize its recommendation on potential new names for Douglas Hall during its meeting Thursday at 9 a.m. in Old Main, room 1019.

A draft of the letter shows the strengths and weaknesses the committee saw with each individual they were asked to review: former Illinois Governor Edward Coles, former student athlete and Tuskegee Airman Major Charles B. Hall, former University President Louis V. Hencken, community members who assisted students with housing Ona and Kenneth Norton, Eastern’s first Black student Zella Powell and former life sciences professor and Director of Afro-American Studies William Ridgeway.

The letter explains that Hencken is not included in the committee’s review because he asked to have his name withdrawn from consideration.

Some of the top focuses of the committee in reviewing each candidate were the individual’s connections to Eastern and the significance of their impacts on Eastern.

The renaming of Douglas Hall will be discussed by the Board of Trustees during its meeting on Jan. 21 and a name change could be voted on during the April 22 meeting.

Corryn Brock can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].