The perfect study spots on campus

Luke Taylor, News Editor

With finals week fast approaching, students are buckling down to get homework done, maybe for the first time all semester. The right study spot could completely change how well they can focus on work.

Where is that perfect study location? Students gave their reviews.

Claire Sullivan, a first year grad student studying clinical psychology, studies in the library for her cognitive behavioral therapy final. (Ashanti Thomas)

“The Stacks” in Booth Library

The library, of course, offers a wealth of comfortable chairs, research materials and charging ports for laptops and phones.

The fourth floor has study rooms which are first-come, first-served and designed for study groups to get together and discuss work without bothering other patrons of the library.

However, many students prefer the lower floor of the library, which is called “The Stacks.”

This section holds moving shelves full of books and large study tables. It’s also farther away from entrances and “traffic” areas of the library.

Sharifa Hurtault, a junior TV and video production major, said the privacy made that the best location.

“I liked to go to the deep depths of the library stacks,” Hurtault said. “There are tables and chairs everywhere in there and it feels like a secret hide out.”

Shelby Hummel, who is studying history at Eastern, agreed.

“It’s quiet and if you know the right spots, there’s hardly anyone around,” Hummel said.

“The Secret Garden”

A little garden which fills with different kinds of foliage and flowers is tucked between the H.F. Thut Greenhouse and the Life Science Building.

This garden is far from secret, as it has its own page on Eastern’s website, but it is just hidden enough that most people miss it.

It holds hundreds of plant species, wound between little paths and benches, and always seems quiet despite its proximity to one of the busier sidewalks on campus.

Kaden Howard, a sophomore English education major, said he liked to study and paint in the garden.

“Seclusion is definitely a key part of its charm, and because it’s tucked into all the buildings, the wind isn’t a bother, which is nice,” Howard said. “It’s also nice and quiet without being inaccessible.”

Even without wind chill, low temperatures can be brutal during the winter months at Eastern. Howard said that doesn’t stop him.

“I just bundle up and bring a blanket to sit on. I put it on the bench and sit on it and then pull it up over my shoulders and read or write. I don’t use my laptop though,” Howard said.

Sonae Bishop, a junior community health major, works on writing a paper in the study lounge area of Martin Luther King Jr. University Union Monday afternoon. (Ashanti Thomas)

The Union’s Bridge Lounge

The Martin Luther King Jr. University Union is split into two main buildings with a “bridge” connecting the two. This bridge, sometimes known as the 24-Hour Lounge, holds tables, large couches and massage chairs which are free to use.

One side of the bridge is made up almost completely of windows which overlook the Library Quad and let natural light into the room.

Emily Becker, a grad student studying counseling, said that she appreciated that the lounge was open all of the time.

“I’m most productive late at night. I always liked that there was enough room for a group of my friends and I to study together,” Becker said. “I would study for hours then take a break and sit in a massage chair.”

Java B&B

Java Beanery and Bakery, just downstairs from the Bridge Lounge, is Eastern’s coffee shop. Students can use dining dollars or regular money to buy drinks or a few food items like bagels, scones and muffins.

The seating area of Java has couches as well as tables of different sizes where students can gather to do homework or just hang out.

Kaylee Spinner, a junior neuroscience major, said she likes to use studying in Java as an excuse to get coffee.

Stevenson’s Tenth Floor

Stevenson, a residence hall with suites instead of individual rooms, is the tallest building on campus. The top floor holds a study area, a kitchenette and a conference room.

The floor is surrounded by large windows which look over campus and is far enough out of the way to avoid traffic of people walking through.

Emily Ross, a sophomore music education major, studies and marks music for a Christmas musical inside the Red Room downstairs of Doudna Fine Arts Center. (Ashanti Thomas)

Honorable Mentions

Of course, there are plenty of other places around campus that are great for studying.

Most academic buildings and residence halls include a lounge or study space which can be great for relaxing or getting in some work between classes.

Some are pretty unique, like the Red Zone in Doudna. As the name implies, every surface in the room, from walls to floor to benches, is completely red.

Those who want to enjoy the weather- or brave the weather, this time of year- can head out to the quads and use picnic tables or the Mellin Steps of Doudna to get outside while being productive.

For some students, though, nothing can beat the privacy of their own rooms. After all, what could be better than curling up in bed and still getting something done?

Luke Taylor can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].