Faculty Senate to discuss mental health days Tuesday

Faculty+Senate+Chair%2C+Todd+Bruns+explains+a+question+about+faculty+members+online+profiles+and+department+website+structure+at+the+Oct.+26+meeting.+The+Senate+discussed+ways+to+inform+faculty+members+update+their+profiles%2C+but+tabled+the+discussion+for+the+next+meeting.+

Faculty Senate Chair, Todd Bruns explains a question about faculty members online profiles and department website structure at the Oct. 26 meeting. The Senate discussed ways to inform faculty members update their profiles, but tabled the discussion for the next meeting.

Luke Taylor, News Editor

Eastern’s Faculty Senate will discuss the pre-Thanksgiving break mental health days during its meeting Tuesday at 2 p.m. in the Witters Conference Room of Booth Library.

Students were given two days, Tuesday and Wednesday, off of class during the week before Thanksgiving break to “provide students the time and space to practice self-care” according to an email from University President David Glassman.

Students with on-campus jobs were still expected to work their scheduled hours and all offices were open as usual.

Self-care events and mental health discussions were also scheduled during the two days off.

Faculty Senate has tentatively scheduled Linda Holloway, the director of human resources, as this week’s guest speaker.

The senate may also hear from the Benefits Office.

Jeff Stowell, vice president of Faculty Senate, will provide an update on the Higher Learning Commission’s Quality Initiative.

Senator Steven Scher will provide an update from Eastern’s Naming Committee.

The Naming Committee has been discussing changing the name of Douglas Hall and recently received a list of suggested new names from Glassman.

All of the possible new names were recommended by the public in a survey, which Glassman sent out earlier this semester.

The new name must meet certain parameters in the Naming Committee’s guidelines. After the committee has reviewed the suggestions, it will offer a recommendation of a new name to Glassman, who will make the final recommendation to the Board of Trustees, which will vote on whether to approve the change.

Faculty Senate Chair Todd Bruns will give the provost’s report.

Committee reports will be given on the Executive Committee, Elections and Nominations, the Student and Staff Relations Committee, the Awards Committee and the Faculty Forum Committee.

Luke Taylor can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].