Faculty Senate to discuss quizzes, exams on D2L Tuesday

Faculty+Senate+Chair%2C+Todd+Bruns+explains+a+question+about+faculty+members+online+profiles+and+department+website+structure+at+the+Oct.+26+meeting.+The+Senate+discussed+ways+to+inform+faculty+members+update+their+profiles%2C+but+tabled+the+discussion+for+the+next+meeting.+

Faculty Senate Chair, Todd Bruns explains a question about faculty members online profiles and department website structure at the Oct. 26 meeting. The Senate discussed ways to inform faculty members update their profiles, but tabled the discussion for the next meeting.

Luke Taylor, News Editor

Eastern’s Faculty Senate will discuss quizzes and exams on D2L Brightspace in their meeting at 2 p.m. Monday in the Witter’s Conference Room of Booth Library.

D2L, which used to be called Desire2Learn, is a software company which provides online learning services for K-12 and higher education.

Many in person classes use the service, too, whether to share homework and documents so they don’t have to be printed out or to post grades so students always know where they stand in class.

D2L also works with the Respondus Lockdown Browser, which ensures that students cannot have other applications open while they’re taking an online test.

Jennifer Stringfellow, the president of Eastern’s chapter of the University Professionals of Illinois, will be the guest speaker leading the discussion.

Steven Scher, the Senate’s appointment to the Naming Committee, will provide an update on the naming commission of Douglas Hall.

Jeff Stowell, Eastern’s Higher Learning Commission accreditation officer, will provide an update on the HLC quality initiative.

Nichole Mulvey, an associate professor in communications disorders and sciences, will give an update to the discussion on password protection for faculty evaluations.

The Senate will also continue their discussion of how faculty can help with recruitment.

Josh Norman, associate vice president for enrollment management, was the guest speaker at the last faculty senate meeting and presented on enrollment numbers and ways that faculty members can help.

During that presentation, Norman said that faculty relationships with students and prospective students can bring in positive reviews and impressions of Eastern as a whole.

Norman said that since Eastern is a small school, faculty should be able to connect with students on an individual level more than in larger schools.

Faculty senate chair Todd Bruns will give the provost’s report.

Committee reports will be given on the Executive Committee, Elections and Nominations, the Student and Staff Relations Committee, the Awards Committee and the Faculty Forum Committee.

Luke Taylor can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].