Discussion series on human sexuality, belief systems kicking off

Katja Benz, Campus Reporter

The first meeting for the discussion series titled Older, Wiser and Smarter is being held in Buzzard Hall Wednesday.

These discussions revolve around different topics within human sexuality and human belief systems.

“This series of discussions will focus on our attitudes, beliefs, and values regarding sexuality, much of which is learned from our families of origin,” according to the Eastern Events Calendar.

This week’s topic is “What’s Spirituality Got to Do with It?”

The event, as well the following events, is open to both the public and the Eastern community at no cost for the attendees of the event.

In the session Wednesday, different topics within spirituality will be discussed.

“Participants will examine messages about sexuality from faith-based traditions, describe how those messages can impact us, and identify how our rights can be based on these beliefs,” according to the Eastern Events Calendar.

During this event, participants will not be pressured to share.

People interested in attending the event have to register due to limited seating.

Those wishing to participate can call (217) 581-5114, or follow the link on the Eastern Calendar Website, which is https://www.eiu.edu/calendar/event.php?id=2699 .

There are two other sessions that will occur on October 20 and 27, both of which are Wednesdays.

The topic of discussion for the October 20 event is online relationships and ways that they are explored.
The event, as well as the next two discussions, will take place from 3:30 to 5 p.m. in Room 1441 of Buzzard Hall.

Those that have questions can reach out to Marita Metzke, who is the director of the Academy of Lifelong Learning at Eastern, at [email protected].

Katja Benz can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]