Take it slow with that cup of joe

Ethan Schobernd, Columnist

“I can’t stop drinking the coffee, I stop drinking coffee, I stop doing the standing, and the walking, and the words-putting-into-sentences doing.”

These words were spoken by the iconic Lorelai Gilmore from the hit series “Gilmore Girls,” who so clearly read the minds of people who are obsessed with drinking coffee, me being one of them.

Coffee is the black, robust-smelling liquid many people crave when they wake-up in the morning. After a long day of attending classes, social events, etc., my mind is usually occupied with the thought, “How am I supposed to get all of this homework finished by tonight?”

Some students may use other alternatives to stay awake long enough to complete their assignments, but I rely on coffee to keep my eyes open.

I do not know whether coffee is unhealthy for people, but it sure seems to do the trick when needed. 

However, a negative side-effect to the beverage is the serious addiction to caffeine. I found myself becoming more fatigued as the days progressed and was drinking an alarming amount of coffee throughout the day, four-to-five cups to be exact.

When I would begin to feel sluggish, I associated only one word as the savior of my problems, coffee.

Of course, coffee is not nearly as unhealthy as energy drinks, but it still posed a problem for not only my physical health, but my mental health as well. Classes started to drag, everything became mundane, and I found it hard to stay awake to do homework in the evening. 

Even though Lorelai Gilmore’s quote was hilarious, it sadly became my reality.

could not function without my constant consumption of coffee. So, what was the solution to my addiction? I had to change my relationship with coffee. 

The issue was, I thought of coffee as a source of energy rather than a form of hydration or a comforting drink. 

I started to cut back on how much I consumed and only drank it when I absolutely needed it.

This cut my coffee consumption in half and improved my overall health.

Yes, coffee is a lovely, caffeinated beverage that I find very enjoyable. However, it shouldn’t be abused for its energizing properties.

This story was not to turn anyone away from drinking coffee; it was to send a friendly reminder that there are other ways to help us get through the long, overhauling days. 

Sometimes exercise, food, and other liquids can be helpful to maintaining a sense of alertness. A message to my fellow coffee lovers out there is go ahead and pour that well-deserved cup of joe, just don’t let that ruin the hard work and integrity we all hold within us. 

Ethan Schobernd can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].