City Council set to meet Tuesday to discuss city issues

On+Sept.+7%2C+2021+the+Mayor+of+Charleston%2C+Brandon+Combs+conducts+the+City+Council+Meeting.+During+this+meeting%2C+the+coucil+voted+on+appropriating+two+different+funds%3B+%24130%2C000+from+the+Motor+Fuel+Tax+%28MFT%29+funds+from+FY+2014%2FFY2015+and+%24180%2C000+from+MTF+funds+from+FY+2016%2FFY+2017.+

On Sept. 7, 2021 the Mayor of Charleston, Brandon Combs conducts the City Council Meeting. During this meeting, the coucil voted on appropriating two different funds; $130,000 from the Motor Fuel Tax (MFT) funds from FY 2014/FY2015 and $180,000 from MTF funds from FY 2016/FY 2017.

Ethan Schobernd, Campus Reporter

Charleston City Council is meeting on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. to discuss the City of Charleston’s plan to borrow $8,500,000 to improve the city’s sewage systems and other issues. 

If approved, the loan will be borrowed from the Water Pollution Control Loan Program to aggregate a substantial amount to operate on the city’s sewage system.  

According to the ordinance document on the city council’s meeting agenda, “the Mayor and City Council of the City of Charleston (‘the Corporate Authorities’) have determined that it is advisable, necessary and in the best interests of public health, safety and welfare to improve the System.” 

The city council will also be voting a request for a raffle license. 

The East Central Harmony Chorus is planning to conduct a 50/50 on Sunday, Sept. 26 to raise funds for charitable purposes. Those funds will be donated to the food pantry at the New Hope Worship Center in Charleston.  

There have also been multiple street closure requests which will be voted on.  

There is an event for Ike’s that will be re-located outdoors due to the increased risks of COVID-19. The event will be taking place Sept. 17 to 19, 2021, EIU Parents Weekend, and Oct. 22 to 24, 2021, EIU Homecoming Weekend, and the closure request is on the South 200 ft. of Alley to the East of Ike’s. 

A “5K for Coffee” race will be taking place Saturday, Nov. 13 at 9 a.m. to benefit CASA of East-Central Illinois. If approved, the event will be starting and finishing on Grant Ave. just west of O’Brien Field. The event is calling for multiple street closures on account of the race. 

Uptowner / Cellar have also requested 7th St. from Monroe Ave. north to Madison Ave. be closed for outdoor band events. The event will take place on Oct. 1 from 4 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. 

The city council will also be discussing the declaration of the Local State of Emergency. 

The Mayor of the City of Charleston, Brandon Combs, has declared a continuation of the Local State of Emergency. The ongoing spread of COVID-19 has affected the citizens to such an extent that measures must be taken for the betterment of public health. 

Ethan Schobernd can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].