Booth Library to host book sale

Karina Delgado | The Daily Eastern News

Danielle Lindblad, a graduate student studying exercise science looks through the religious section. Lindblad was trying to find a Koran but was unable to find one but continued to look through the books to see what she can find.

Ethan Schobernd, Campus Reporter

Booth Library is running a book sale in the courtyard around the clock tower from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Wednesday.  

Janice Derr, head of acquisition services, is the main coordinator of the event. All the proceeds from the event will be going towards the library’s gift account, which is used to support library programs and services.  

The gift account has funded multiple things, such as virtual reality equipment for the Center for Student Innovation, supplies for the school’s 3D printers, and funds for the Awards for Excellence for Student Research.  

Most of the books are provided through local donations, but some of the books have been selected out of the library’s collection as well. 

Derr expects to see around 200 people over the course of the day.  

The library has conducted book sales in the past and typically has two book sale events each year, one in September, and one in April.  

“We haven’t had a sale since 2019 though, so we are really excited,” said Derr. 

Regarding COVID-19 guidelines, Derr said the sale is not affected because it is usually held outdoors; however, they will still be observing social distancing guidelines. 

Derr said that everything at the sale will be $2 or less, and that they will be accepting cash, card or checks as payment. 

“We will have thousands of books, fiction and non-fiction in pretty much every subject, DVDs and some records,” said Derr, “We really enjoy putting on this event because it is a great opportunity for library staff to interact with the EIU and local community. It takes a lot of work to put together an event of this size. Besides library staff, we have student volunteers who signed up for our event through the Office of Civic Engagement and Volunteerism. We are also grateful to have the Women’s Soccer team and members from the Track and Field team helping us with set up and tear down.”  

Ethan Schobernd can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].