History of Eastern’s Fall enrollment

A graph shows the 20-year history of Eastern’s Fall enrollment, including the slow then rapid decline followed by a recent uptick in students after Eastern began offering dual credit course for high school students.

Corryn Brock, Editor-in-Chief

Eastern’s Census Day Fall 2021 semester enrollment numbers are expected to be released this week following a three-year uptick in enrollment.

However, this increase in enrollment did not come without a number of decreases in the past 20 years.

The highest point for enrollment in the last 20 years was in 2006 when Eastern had 12,349 students attending the university. From then on there was a steady decrease in enrollment until the Fall 2018 semester when Eastern began offering high school dual enrollment.

In 2017, Eastern had a total of 7,030 students enrolled at the university, with the total number of undergraduates being 5,568 of that population.

The next year in 2018, Eastern saw 7,526 total students.

Of those students, 4,738 students were undergraduate students and 1,274 were high school students enrolled in dual credit courses through Eastern.

In 2019, the number of undergraduate students dropped once again with undergraduates making up 4,649 students of the total 7,806 students.

A total of 1,580 students were high school students enrolled in dual credit courses.

In 2020, the university had 8,626 enrolled in courses with Eastern.

Of the total student body, 4,471 students were undergraduate students and 2,228 were high school students enrolled in dual credit courses.

The Tenth Day Enrollment Numbers for Fall 2021 are expected to be released Wednesday or Thursday.

Corryn Brock can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].