On-campus job fair to be held Wednesday

Luke Taylor, News Editor

Eastern’s career services will host an on-campus job fair Wednesday from 1-3 p.m. in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union Bridge Lounge.

Various departments which have job openings available will have tables set up to discuss opportunities with interested students.

Each department will also be required to create a profile on Handshake for students who were unable to be at the fair to view available positions.

Handshake is a platform where both prospective employees and employers can create profiles. Eastern’s virtual job fairs are all held on that platform.

Departments across campus offer positions that directly relate to the majors they oversee, but many also have positions that any student can fill.

For example, most offices need someone to field calls during the day. Full-time clerical workers cover that duty in some instances, but in many cases, students can answer questions or direct callers to the right person to talk to.

The Union Food Court, Java and all of the dining halls usually need employees as well. Workers in Eastern’s food services cover a variety of duties, like cooking, washing dishes, keeping everything clean and “swiping people in” to get their food.

The EIU Union Bookstore hires students to work as cashiers and assist customers who come to buy everything from Eastern merch to art supplies.

Students working in Textbook Rental can help their peers check out books and make sure returned books go to the correct shelves.

Eastern’s admissions department also hires students to serve as tour guides for potential new students. These people are often the first impression new students and their families have of Eastern as a school.

Some campus jobs hire students before the school year begins, but positions may still open up throughout the year. These include jobs like night assistants and the service assistants who work at the front desks of residence halls.

Luke Taylor can be contacted at 581-1812 or at [email protected].