Le sentenced to 30 months in DOC, 4 years probation

Jenny Les mugshot.

Submitted

Jenny Le’s mugshot.

Corryn Brock, Staff Reporter

Former Eastern student Jenny Le, 27, was sentenced to 30 months in the Department of Corrections, four years of concurrent probation and 100 hours of community service in a plea deal with the Coles County State’s Attorney Office.

During the sentencing, Le’s attorney Sean Britton requested a five-day stay of arrest which was denied.

Le was arrested Sept. 30, 2019 and charged with two Class X felonies, one Class One felony and one Class Three felony.

She was arrested after police searched her residence and found over $110,000 worth of drugs during the execution of a search warrant. Among the items were:

-5,178 grams of marijuana, estimated street value of $103,560

-718 serrated parts of LSD, estimated street value of $5,026

-999 tablets of Xanax, estimated street value of $1,198

-761 grams of edibles containing cannabis

-253 THC vape pen cartridges

-31.4 grams of cannabis wax

-45 individually packaged cannabis blunts

-Two bottles of Alprazolam (a medicine used to treat anxiety and panic disorders),

-A bottle of Clonazepam (a medicine used to treat seizures, panic disorder and anxiety)

-A bottle of the muscle relaxant Cyclobenzaprine

-4.6 grams psilocybin mushrooms

During the sentencing, photo evidence was shown of the items found at the residence.

Originally, Le pleaded not guilty to all charges after being accused of possessing 5,178 grams of marijuana and 600 doses of lysergic acid diethylamide, commonly known as LSD, with intent to deliver.

When accepting her plea deal she pleaded guilty to possession of a more than 600 segregated parts of a controlled substance but less than 1500 parts and possession with intent to deliver a controlled substance, the substance being alprazolam, commonly known as Xanax.

Two charges were waived, one accusing Le of possession of 5,000 grams or more of a substance containing cannabis with intent to deliver and another accusing her of possession of more than 600 segregated parts but less than 1500 parts of lysergic acid diethylamide, commonly known as LSD, with intent to deliver.

According to a police affidavit, the following events led to Le’s 2019 arrest.

On September 24, 2019 University Police Officer Joel Stewart conducted a traffic stop on Le’s girlfriend who was driving Le’s car while Le was in the passenger seat.

Stewart said in the affidavit that he could smell the odor of cannabis in the vehicle and conducted a search in which he located a “Skunk” bag, a bag with a combination lock that is often used to conceal the odor of narcotics.

Neither Le or her girlfriend claimed the bag and said it belonged to a friend. The bag was then in an evidence locker at the University Police Department and Stewart told the two to have their friend contact him for the bag.

After waiting three days the bag was not claimed and then opened by Stewart who said he located one ounce of cannabis and $8,800.

Stewart then contacted Inspector Robert Agney, an officer on assignment with the East Central Illinois Task Force, who took custody of the cannabis and money. Agney was provided with Le’s name and identified her as someone a confidential source had said was a cannabis distributor, according to the affidavit.

Agney located a Walmart receipt in the bag from the Charleston Walmart and was given footage by the store that showed Le with the bag.

The following Monday, Agney and ECITF Inspector David Reed went to Le’s residence to provide Le and her girlfriend a written notice of forfeiture proceedings for the $8,800 located in the bag.

Once in the residence, Agney and Reed detected a cannabis odor in the residence and asked about it. Le allegedly said there was cannabis in her bedroom and took the agents to the room.

A safe was observed in the room and when asked about it Le allegedly first said the safe contained money, then said the safe contained cannabis.

The residence was then secured until a search warrant was obtained, leading to Le’s arrest.

Corryn Brock can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].