Student Senate election results to be released

Theo Edwards, Student Government Reporter

The results of the Student Senate election for executive board positions and student senator positions will be announced at Wednesday’s meeting after voting took place Apr. 19 and 20.

Those running will be for the following positions:

• Student Body President: Jaclyn Thomas and Jacqueline Williams

Executive Vice-President: Payton Ade

Vice-President of Student Affairs: Subodh Khanal, Terrence Trimuel, and Ahmed Shahin

Vice-President of Academic Affairs: Prabin Karki

Student Senator: Natalie Mitlyng and Jasmine Yusef

This last meeting of the semester is planned to be the second in person meeting for Student Senate in the Grand Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. Unversity Union at 7 p.m.

The Senate Resolution 20-21-03, EIUnited Against Asian and Pacific Islander Hate Resolution, will be brought up again at this meeting since last meeting did not have enough senators present to vote upon it.

The resolution reads:

“Whereas, The Eastern Illinois University remains committed to a welcoming and inclusive campus community that recognizes and elaborates its diversity. 

Whereas, The Eastern Illinois University community stands in solidarity against Asian Hate in response to the ongoing violence and hate targeted against members of the AAPI community. 

Whereas, Eastern Illinois University condemns any acts of expressions of hate and violence that threatens the personal safety and welfare of members of the AAPI community and all EIU faculty, staff and students. 

Whereas, Eastern Illinois University has a duty to confront and speak out against all forms of racial, violence and discrimination. 

Whereas, Eastern Illinois University recognizes and celebrates the rich history, culture contributions of those members of the Asian American & Pacific Islander communities. 

Be it resolved, Eastern Illinois University & the EIU Student Government condemns any and all forms of discrimination, hate and violence against members of the AAPI communities and members of the EIU community.”

The resolution follows a nationwide push to denounce racism and hatred towards Asians and Pacific Islanders.

Theo Edwards can be reached at 581-2812 or at  [email protected].