Volleyball team loses 3-1 against Austin Peay Monday

Adam Tumino, Editor-in-Chief

With a 3-1 loss Monday to Austin Peay, the Eastern volleyball team dropped to 0-8 and is now at the halfway point of the abbreviated spring season.

In the loss Monday, the Panthers started out strong in the first two sets.

They won the first set 25-19, which was the fourth set they have won against conference opponents this season. In 16 conference matches last season, the Panthers won just five sets.

They also recorded a better hitting percentage than the Governors, outhitting them .286 to .086.

This was the fifth time that the Panthers have outhit an opponent this season.

Eastern also outhit the Governors in the second set .289 to .220. This was the first time this season that the Panthers outhit an opponent for multiple sets in the same match.

Eastern senior outside hitter Laurel Bailey led the team with 7 kills in the first set and 4 kills in the second, setting the tone early.

The tone then changed drastically in the final two sets with Austin Peay taking control of the match.

The Governors took set three 25-11, hitting .469 while recording 16 kills. Eastern had 5 kills and 5 attack errors in the third set, hitting zero percent.

Austin Peay hit even better in the fourth and final set.

The Governors recorded 15 kills in the set without committing an attack error, earning themselves a hitting percentage of .517 in the set.

They hit .307 in the match.

Despite the Panthers’ third-quarter struggles lowering their hitting percentage, they still recorded a hitting percentage of .203, their fourth-highest hitting percentage in a match this season,

Bailey led both teams with 16 kills and 18.5 points and tied for a game-high with 15 digs, which was a new season high for her.

Redshirt-junior Kylie Michael also recorded double figures in kills with 11 while leading the team with a .360 hitting percentage.

Freshman Christina Martinez-Mundo set a new season high with 11 digs.

Austin Peay was led by senior Brooke Moore with 15 kills and 16 points and sophomore Chloe Stitt with 15 kills for 15 points.

The Panthers remain at home for their next two matches March 7 and 8 against Tennessee State.

Each match is scheduled to begin at 3 p.m.

Adam Tumino can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].