Students discuss their dreams for World Dream Day

Theo Edwards, Staff Reporter

The global participatory holiday World Dream Day, held on Sept. 25, annually inspires many worldwide to follow their dreams.

This day was founded in 2012 by Ozioma Egwuonwu, an educator and transformational strategist, to encourage people around the world to examine the dreams that they have and bring them to fruition.

Keegan Wills, a junior secondary education major, has dreams for his career that he hopes to achieve.

“I’ve always wanted to be a teacher,” Wills said. “I want to teach on the east coast, I wouldn’t care as long as it’s on the east coast, towards the southeast. I wouldn’t want to be cold.”

Chloe Bourdages, a grad student studying college student affairs, has career dreams as well as dreams for her life in the future.

“I would like to get my PHD, and I’d like to become a Title IX coordinator,” Bourdages said. “I’d like to have a family, but if that’s with a man or not a man, or with a woman or without a woman, I will be having children no matter what. 

Emilie Bowman, a sophomore English education major, said her career dreams are inspired by teachers she knew in high school.

“I’d like to be a teacher,” she said. “I had a rough time in high school and I connected with a lot of teachers and they were there for me both inside and outside of the classroom when I needed them most. I’d like to do that for other kids who need somebody and either don’t realize it or don’t have somebody else.”

Wills, Bourdages and Bowman also said that they have dreams for the country and world in general.

“We’re pretty divided, and we are the United States of America, so hopefully that gets better down the road,” Wills said.

Bourdages dreams are also wide-ranging.

“Equity. Human rights. For everyone to believe in climate change, and then we’d actually do more to go toward renewable energy,” she said. “I’d like for third world countries not to be a thing, like with hunger and disease. I don’t know if we can get there but that would be cool.”

“Let’s treat people like people,” Bowman said. “Let’s invest and help those that cannot help themselves. Be good people.” 

The premise behind World Dream Day is that all of our goals have one thing in common; they start off with a dream.

Ways to celebrate World Dream Day are limitless, but the main way is to reflect on the dreams you have in your own life and consider how to make them a reality.

Dreams you contemplate today can range from small to large, short-term to long-term, it’s up to you.

Start by considering what you want out of life or what you would hope to achieve for others’ sake.

Then think about what is stopping you from these dreams and contemplate ways to overcome these hurdles to get to where you need to be. 

Adopting a healthy mindset to face the unknown of certain goals and to take it one step at a time is extremely beneficial. 

To go above and beyond with celebrating this day, consider helping others with their dreams and the development of them. 

For both personal connection to this day or combined efforts, consider reaching out for help when planning your dreams.

What makes this day fun is the collaborative opportunities presented and the potential to discuss it with others.

By doing so you may just find others with dreams similar to yours and can join forces to accomplish your shared dream.

Spreading the word of World Dream Day can also inspire others and oftentimes all it takes for a person to reach their potential is for at least one person to believe in them.

Regard what you would like to achieve with your dreams, plan on how you can make it a reality, and then share what you personally have made of World Dream Day.

Above all, this day is about inspiring one another to achieve our true potential and follow our dreams.

Theo Edwards can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].