Eastern students react to 1st week of classes

Several+students+walk+around+campus%2C+going+to+and+from+classes+on+Thursday+afternoon+as+the+first+week+of+classes+wraps+up.+

Karina Delgado | The Daily Eastern News

Several students walk around campus, going to and from classes on Thursday afternoon as the first week of classes wraps up.

Allison Little, Staff Reporter

This back to school season looks a lot different from years past, but despite the issues the world faces, Eastern students are back on campus for living and classes.

From masks to socially distanced classrooms and online learning, EIU has taken precautions to keep the campus community safe.

Marion Mosley, a sophomore majoring in computer science, says that he feels the university has managed the precautions well.

“I know that COVID-19 precautions have been taken appropriately, and I feel that EIU has done a great job managing the first week of classes when it comes to students being around each other for the first time” Mosley said.

Rylee Lorten, a sophomore public relations major, said that following the guidelines is difficult on campus but she sees people trying their best.

“I think ultimately everyone is doing the best they can, and that’s as much as you can ask,” Lorten said. “I think it’s going to be a lot of trial and error this semester, just from what I’ve seen this first week.”

Emma Mann, a freshman pre-nursing major, said that she believes more regulations should be in place.

“I feel like there could be some more precautions, I don’t know,” Mann said. “For me personally I think everything should be online and if there’s labs or something that you have to do on campus, that’s when we should be on campus.”

A specific guideline Mosley mentioned was proper mask wearing.

“The professors I’ve had have done a great job following the guidelines of having us wear a mask covering our face, covering our nose and our mouth, or else we’re not able to actually attend class,” Mosley said.

Mann said that she often sees students on campus not following the COVID guidelines.

“I do feel like there are some kids that aren’t taking it as seriously, I know I’m taking it seriously but I know there are some kids that don’t,” Mann said. “I think it’s just some of the students that don’t seem to care.”

Lorten said that following the guidelines is difficult in respect to the social aspects of college students being together on campus.

“There’s only so much you can do with a college campus and especially college kids, you can’t just get a bunch of connection starved 18-year-olds and 19-year-olds together and say, ‘don’t see each other,’” Lorten said.

Another precaution the university has taken is to have online and hybrid classes, Mosley said that he had classes with a variety of delivery modes.

“There are three classes that I have that meet face to face and I have three other classes that are online or hybrid,” Mosley said. “I’m feeling pretty good about classes so far.”

Lorten said that in her experience this week she misses some aspects of in person meetings but is grateful for the extra time afforded by hybrid classes.

“There’s pros and cons to everything so far that I’ve experienced,” Lorten said. “I do kind of miss some of the connections and clarity that come with in person class but I do like the freedom of some of my hybrid classes, where if we only meet one time a week there’s more time to do assignments.”

Lorten also said that despite the difficulties of adjusting to the new campus normal EIU students and staff are still helping one another through the hard times.

“I think people are trying to be there for each other, virtually or in person they’re trying to be there to help each other out,” Lorten said “Everyone’s doing their best and I think they’re doing their best for everyone else too.”

Allison Little can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].