Glassman sends email update

Corryn Brock, News Editor

Eastern President David Glassman sent an email Thursday night to update how Eastern will be conducting campus business during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Glassman said students are being urged to return home for the remainder of the Spring 2020 semester if possible.

Students who live in residence halls, Greek Court, University Court or University Apartments should expect an email from the Housing and Dining Office Friday that will include information on the checkout process and a link to sign up for a time to move out of their on-campus residence.

Check out times will begin Sunday at 1 p.m. and end March 28.

The email says, “you must quickly pack your belongings, check out, and return to your permanent residences. Students are not allowed to reside on campus overnight.”

In return for moving out before housing contracts end, students will receive prorated credits to their accounts or prorated refunds to students leaving on-campus housing for the remainder of the semester.

The university will make accommodations for students in “extraordinary” situations (ie: no online learning access at home and international students).

Students who will remain on campus should not return until March 28 and should email the Housing and Dining Office at [email protected] to notify the office of their intention to return and reason for return.

Students may be moved to different locations in an attempt to ensure appropriate health-related social distancing as well as safety and staffing considerations.

Graduate students and student works should not return to campus until March 29 unless told otherwise by supervisors before Sunday.

The following facilities will be close for the remainder of the semester:

• The Student Recreation Center
  • University Pool
  • Bowling Alley and Billiards Center
  • E-Sports Arena
  • Multicultural Center
  • Panther Shuttle Service

Booth Library will remain open with restricted hours.

University food services will be consolidated to Taylor Dining Center with reduced hours and food will only be available to “grab-and-go.”

Those with questions regarding the rapidly changing environment at Eastern should email [email protected].

Corryn Brock can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].