Student Senate prepares for elections

Jelan Buchanan, Staff Reporter

The Student Senate is seeking candidates for the 2020 Student Government Election and has made election packets elaborating the time and dates of the election process.

Election commissioner Ethan Osborne said the point of this election is to get new individuals to represent the students. 

He said it is even more important because it is involving the executive board: Student Body President, Executive Vice President, Vice President for Academic Affairs and Vice President for Student Affairs. 

Osborne said the goals of this election are to find the best student leaders and get them into student government to help the university.

He said students should vote and care about the election because it is choosing people that represent the students and their ideas.

Osborne said the outcome that he is looking for from the election is to have more candidates in the race, which will lead to more diverse opinions. 

The Student Government Election packets can be found in the Student Activity Center in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

The 2020 Student Government election timeline is as follows:

• March 2 to March 13: Each candidate will meet with Student Body President Carson Gordon before running for a position. 

• March 12: 7 p.m. Candidate Meeting. It will be held in the Effingham Room of the Union.

• March 13: All forms from the election packet must be turned in by 4 p.m. to be able to run.

• March 23: at 7 p.m., the executive debate will be held in the Effingham Room of the Union

• March 30 through March 31: Online Election ballots will open at 8 a.m. Monday to 11:59 p.m. Tuesday.

• April 1: At 7 p.m., unofficial results will be presented at the Student Senate meeting in the Arcola/Tuscola Room of the Union.

• April 8: At 7 p.m., official results of the executive board and new senators will be held in the Arcola/Tuscola room at the Union. 

• April 23: New members of the executive board will be inaugurated. 

Jelan Buchanan can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].