Senate to discuss safety resolution

Jelan Buchanan, Reporter

Student Senate will be discussing a resolution over student safety at its Wednesday meeting in the Arcola/Tuscola room of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union at 7 p.m.

The Staff, Student and Faculty Senates together sent in a letter to the editor over the white supremacy posters, which ran in The Daily Eastern News Feb. 28, and at the meeting they will discuss approving the resolution.

“We can put something in the newspaper, but until it’s officially approved by the Senate it’s not officially a Senate resolution,” Student Body President Carson Gordon said.

If approved, the resolution will be the Senate’s way of making it clear that it condemns the recent white supremacist acts.

Before the meeting Wednesday the executive board and committee chairs will be meeting with the Lake Land College student government to get to know each other and network.

Gordon said they have a lot of the same issues, challenges and opportunities, and they want to sit down and brainstorm some ideas together.

Gordon added that election application packets for Senate and the executive board positions came out Monday for candidates to fill out which are due March 13 at 4 p.m. The packets are located in the Student Activity Center.

In the packets are the information of the positions and of the timeline for the election. 

Gordon also is still working with Health Education Resource Center. They are still figuring out ways to get information out to the students about mental health awareness.

“Especially as midterms approach and as it gets later in the semester, things get stressful and there’s so much going on,” Gordon said. “So, it’s really important to get information out about our on-campus resources and our community resources with mental health and remind people to focus as much on their mental health as they are on their physical health.”

A note on the Senate website encouraged students to attend Senate meetings, introduce themselves to the Senate and talk to the Speaker of the Senate about becoming a senator.

An application for student senators can be found online on the Senate’s website under “applications.”

Jelan Buchanan can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected]