Panthers have 10 top-10 finishes at Friday Night Special

Oscar Rzodkiewicz, Assistant Sports Editor

File Photo | The Daily Eastern News
Eastern distance runner Dustin Hatfield competing in the one mile run at the EIU John Craft Invite on Jan. 18 at the Lantz Fieldhouse.

Junior MaKenna Wilson set the Eastern all-time indoor record for the shot put as 14 athletes placed in the top ten at the EIU Friday Night Special last week.

Wilson recorded a personal-best throw of 50-9.25, topping the previous record of 50-6 set by Kandace Arnold back in 2010, and Wilson’s mark also lands her the top spot in the Ohio Valley Conference a week ahead of the conference championship.

Only one other thrower in the conference has a throw above 50 aside from Wilson.

Freshman Shanisa Stinson also had a strong outing, posting fourth place in the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.84 seconds, just 0.02 away from the Eastern all-time list and enough to move her to No. 3 in the Ohio Valley Conference rankings for the event.

Freshman Akiya Kollore finished in seventh with an 8.91 time on Friday that slots her sixth in the conference.

Kollore also still holds a top ten spot in the conference in the 200-meter from the team’s meet at Grand Valley State last weekend.

Junior Kate Bushue also had a top finish in the Friday Night Special, placing second in the 800-meter with a time of 2:19.80.

Bushue moved to 12th in the OVC in the event with that time, and sophomore Megan Adams also took a top time in the 800-meter, finishing fourth with a time of 2:21.71, while freshman Katie Springer finished fifth at 2:22.21.

Freshman Taylor Wright took third in the triple jump with a 36-11.75, moving to seventh in the OVC rankings.

On the men’s side, sophomore Franky Romano and freshman Greg Downs led the way, as both finished second in different events.

Romano’s finish came in the one-mile run with a time of 4:22.30, good for 15th in the conference, while Downs managed to be the runner-up in the triple jump with a 44-8.75 placing.

Downs also took home fifth place in the 400-meter with a 51.54 time and now ranks seventh in the OVC for the triple jump.

In the 3000-meter, senior Tyler Lay and redshirt sophomore David Thompson were both in the top five, as Lay finished third with an 8:50.45 time and Thompson behind him in fifth at 8:52.56.

Eastern returns to action with the OVC Championships meet this week in Birmingham, Alabama, with day one set to begin on Wednesday starting at 9 a.m.

Oscar Rzodkiewicz can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].