Vagina Monologues play to raise funds Friday

Allison Little , Staff Reporter

The Vagina Monologues play performances will raise awareness of sexual and domestic violence Friday evening in the Grand Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

The performance is for the benefit of Sexual Assault Counseling and Information Services, as well as Hope of East Central Illinois, two organizations that provide assistance to those who have suffered from domestic abuse and sexual assault.

Angie Hunt, the direct services coordinator for Hope of East Central Illinois, said the event has become a tradition.

“We actually do the Vagina Monologues every two years, and I believe the very first year was 2002,” Hunt said.

Beside raising awareness, the purpose of the Vagina Monologues is to give people a better understanding of those who have experienced it, Hunt said.

“The whole point is to call attention to violence against women and children,” Hunt said. “Hopefully we raise some funds, too, but the even more important thing is hoping that people will go away from this performance maybe with a better understanding of what some people experience.”  

Hunt said the Vagina Monologues hits home for her personally.

“It’s important to me because I’m a survivor of sexual abuse, domestic violence and sexual assault, but also because I’m an advocate now and I’ve been working in this field for a long time,” Hunt said.

Hunt said the play itself is an emotional rollercoaster.

“Some of that is heartbreaking, no doubt about it, and there are monologues that are absolutely devastating to listen to, but then there are also ones that are hilarious, there are ones that are really sweet and ones that are funny, really funny,” Hunt said. “I think you go through every emotion you can possibly go through.” 

The event will also have a silent auction to help raise money for SACIS and Hope.

“We’re also taking donations for the silent auction, so if anyone out there has anything they want to donate we would love to have it,” Hunt said.

Tickets for the 7 p.m. Vagina Monologues are on sale in the Doudna Ticket Office. General admission is $10, and students and seniors can attend for $5. People can contact SACIS at 348-5033 for more information.

Allison Little can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].