CAA to vote on revision to credit for prior learning

Corryn Brock, News Editor

The Council on Academic Affairs will vote on an action item to revise credit for prior learning during its meeting Thursday at 2 p.m. in Room 4440 of Booth Library.

If approved, the proposal will change the language for the credit for prior learning via portfolio section of the catalog.

The change will delete most of the language and add in some leaving the policy to say: “Eastern Illinois University awards credit for prior learning following the Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL) standards. Students should consult their major department to determine if the program they are enrolled in accepts course credit earned through prior learning via portfolio, and to obtain information about all relevant procedures and protocol.”

In the rationale for the changes it says the change is necessary because the potential new language “creates general language that can be applied to any and all academic programs, thus reducing potential future edits to the governing academic regulations.”

The council will also vote on a new biochemistry minor.

Currently there is a biochemistry major but not a complimentary minor for it available with chemistry majors and minors.

The rationale for the proposed new minor is to reward students who are not biochemistry majors but have taken additional courses with a biochemistry major and the new minor “will be of interest to students in other degree programs who are seeking to enter the life sciences job sector or interdisciplinary graduate programs.”

CAA will vote on revisions to the management information systems major and hospitality and tourism management option.

The council will also vote on revisions to the neuroscience and religious studies.

CAA will also vote on:

• A new course, Introduction to Databases for Business Analytics

• A new course, Introduction to Business Intelligence

• A new course, Business Analytics Project

• A revised course, Business Analytics Programming

• A revised course, Economic Botany

The council will discuss suspension of its bylaws and revising the nomination requirements for faculty laureate.

Corryn Brock can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].