Love’s in the air: Students talk Valentine’s Day

Emilie Bowman, Staff Reporter

Students around Eastern are celebrating the Valentine’s Day holiday in many different ways.

Both students in relationships and those who are not have something special planned for the day.

Freshman special education major Natalie DiRienzo and her friend health administration freshman Emily Siegel plan on partaking in “Galentine’s Day” festivities.

“On Friday, we’re going to a Galentine’s Day party and we’re making each other stuff and watching a rom-com,” DiRienzo said.

“Then on Saturday we’re going swing dancing at Pemberton,” and Siegel.

Galentine’s Day is a fictional holiday which originated on the tv show Parks and Recreation and is a day to celebrate love and female friendships.

Valentine’s Day can be difficult to celebrate for those with demanding schedules and students are spending their day in more productive ways.

“I’m going to the local schools to do observation hours because we don’t have classes so its really nice to get a full day of hours,” said sophomore special education major Hope Porter.

“I’m going to work all day and that’s it,” said junior marketing major Saad Elkhelfi.

Even students who do not have significant others at this time of year still have strong opinions about the holiday.

Freshman history education major Dylan Wettig said he recognizes the importance of Valentine’s Day.

“I’m probably not going to do anything on Valentine’s Day because I don’t have a girlfriend, but I think if you have a significant other, it’s definitely a good holiday,” said Wettig. “You should always treat them right, but I think a day to go and celebrate or go out somewhere special and eat or something is always nice.”

Although Valentine’s Day is a specific day to show people how you feel, it should not be the only day.

“You should love your significant other every day, but I still feel like that day is one to pull out all the stops,” said Elkhelfi. “I feel like you should dress up and go somewhere nice, just do something nice, you know? Girls like the day so we should let them have their day.”

Despite all the excitement around the holiday, some students choose not to participate in the activities.

“I think it [Valentine’s Day] is a hallmark holiday. I don’t like spending money towards it,” said Porter. “I go to the store the day after and get the 50% off chocolate. You will not catch me buying stuff the day before or the day of. The holiday is overhyped.”

The exact origin of the holiday is a mystery but can be traced back to Roman Catholic St. Valentine, a clergyman who secretly married young lovers before his death.

During the fifth century, Valentine’s Day replaced the Roman festival Lupercalia, which celebrated spring coming closer as well as women being paired off with men through a lottery process.

Valentine’s Day was officially celebrated as a romance holiday for the first time during the 14th century.

Emilie Bowman can be reached at 581-2812 or are [email protected].