McCann returning to old position

Analicia Haynes, Senior Reporter

Paul McCann, the interim vice president for business affairs, will return to being Eastern’s treasurer as candidates for the vice president position head to campus in the coming weeks. 

McCann said after a Friday afternoon Council on University Planning and Budget meeting that he would return to his former position, which he held prior to taking the interim role. 

He first held the interim position from Dec. 31, 2008, when the former vice president for business affairs, Jeff Cooley, retired, until spring of 2009 when William Webber was hired. 

McCann returned to the interim position in 2014 after Webber stepped down and has held it since then. 

Three candidates are up for the permanent position: Philip Peña, Sean Reeder and Ed Ashley. 

According to the VPBA search page on Eastern’s website, the university is looking for someone with at least five years senior leadership at the director of assistant/associate vice president level or higher. 

The candidate must also have experience leading one or more of the functional areas in higher education.

There is also a preference for someone with extensive background in finance, business services or accounting. 

The candidate needs to have a master’s degree in business, accounting, public administration or another advanced degree in a related field and an understanding of and experience with institutional investment strategies and capital projects financing is preferred. 

Philip Peña

Peña will be on campus Wednesday with an open session starting at 3 p.m. in the Arcola/Tuscola Room of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union. 

Peña is the vice president for finance and administration at East Central College in Union, Missouri as well as the Chief Financial Officer/Treasurer and Chief Information Officer. 

Responsibilities for that position include directing and supervising finance, facilities, auxiliary services such as food service, bookstore, safety and security, print shop, risk management and purchasing, and information technology departments for the main and remote campuses. 

According to his resume he worked toward continuous improvement and aligned operations with academic and community support. 

He received his Doctor of Management from the University of Maryland University College and his Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and Bachelor of Science in Marketing from Indiana State University. 

His vita can be found here https://www.eiu.edu/vpbasearch/Pena%20Resume.pdf

Sean Reeder

Reeder will be on campus Feb. 17 with an open session starting at 3 p.m. in the Effingham Room of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union. 

He is the assistant vice president for capital programs and utility services at the University of Illinois. 

Responsibilities for that position include financial oversight, budget and cash flow development for capital programs and campus master planning, overall needs, and development strategy for capital improvement across all campuses. 

He is a current PhD student at Illinois studying higher education policy, organization and leadership. 

His vita can be found here https://www.eiu.edu/vpbasearch/Reeder%20Resume.pdf

Ed Ashley

Ashley will be on campus Feb. 20 with an open session starting at 3 p.m. in the Arcola/Tuscola Room of the Union. 

He is the associate vice president at California State University in San Marcos as well as the director of business community relations for the College of Business Administration. 

His responsibilities as the associate vice president include overseeing the branch campus that supports state-side and self-support programs.

He also runs budgeting, procurement, financial reporting, government and labor interfacing and information technology.

He oversees facilities at two locations, including nursing simulators, kinesiology labs and science labs in addition to classrooms.

Ashley also advises and supports all college deans for the university and works with city management at the five cities within the region and with community colleges and kindergarten through 12th grade school districts for transfer and feeder programs

He received his Master of Business Administration from California State University in San Marcos and his Bachelor of Science in Business and Management from the University of Redlands in Redlands, California. 

His vita can be found here https://www.eiu.edu/vpbasearch/Ashley%20Resume.pdf

Analicia Haynes can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]