3 Panthers set all-time bests at Notre Dame

Oscar Rzodkiewicz, Assistant Sports Editor

Karina Delgado | The Daily Eastern News
Redshirt sophomore Dustin Hatfield competes in a distance event at the EIU John Craft Invite on Jan. 18 at the Lantz Fieldhouse.

Senior Lindsey Carlson, redshirt senior Grace Rowan and redshirt sophomore Dustin Hatfield all moved into the top ten in Eastern’s all-time top ten for different events at the Notre Dame Meyo Invite.

Carlson, who also played four years for Eastern’s women’s soccer team, took home sixth-place in the 5000-meter with a time of 17 minutes, 14.73 seconds.

That time moves her to number five all-time in Eastern history, the first time somebody has cracked the top ten in the event on the women’s side since 2017.

Carlson also moved into the top three in the conference with a 4:58.27 time in the one-mile.

The top runner in the one-mile on the women’s side was Rowan who took eighth in the one-mile with a 4:53.89 finish to mark the Eastern women’s final top-ten finish. 

Rowan already held the top time in the conference in the event, and the effort notches her first place in the conference and number four on Eastern’s top ten all-time list.

Rowan also ranks sixth in the OVC in the 800-meter after a time of 2:16.93 which was 29th overall on the weekend.

For the men’s team, Hatfield jumped to seventh in Eastern history with a win in the 3000-meter with a time of 8:14.06, a personal best for him as well.

That time also slots him No. 1 in the conference, just over nine seconds faster than the second-place time.

Senior Joe Smith also got a podium finish over the weekend, taking third in the triple jump with a 50-0 mark, his second time hitting 50 feet this season.

Smith is still shy of his 50-0.75 jump from the John Craft Invite earlier this indoor season.

Junior Jaime Marcos also had a strong weekend, placing sixth in the 5000-meter with a 14:36.33 time, taking him to first in the OVC rankings.

Senior Marcus Skinner also posted his best time of the year in the 5000-meter this weekend, taking the eighth spot in the conference with a time of 15:04.99.

The final top-ten finish for the Panthers was reigning OVC Male Track Athlete of the Week redshirt senior Shandall Thomas who finished ninth in the 60-meter dash with a 6.92 time.

Thomas is first overall in the conference in the event with his time of 6.76 at the Iowa Black and Gold Premier.

The Panthers return to action on Friday for the Grand Valley State Big Meet.

Oscar Rzodkiewicz can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].