Opinion: Sometimes friendships grow apart t

Jessica Stewart, Columnist

Not every friendship can last forever. Even the ones that you think will last a lifetime sometimes come to an end too soon. This is sort of a sensitive subject, so it isn’t talked about very much. But it is important because it is actually quite common. Some friendships just don’t last forever.

The most common example I can think of is your best friend from high school. While, yes, not everyone grows apart from their high school friends, it is very easy to grow apart from them. You move away from each other for the first time, you make new friends, you become completely different people. You still care about each other, you just don’t mesh well anymore. There’s something off every time you are together.

This can happen with any set of friends. One or both of them might not even notice it happening. Sometimes they just get busy with life. We all are in school trying to balance jobs, extracurriculars, and social lives. Some friends just get caught up in the chaos of everything and start to lose touch. Before they know it, there is distance between them.

Some friendships can handle a little distance. You can go days, weeks, maybe even months without seeing or talking to each other, but as soon as you meet up again it’s as if no time has passed. It isn’t uncomfortable at all, and no one blames anyone for the distance. There is a mutual understanding that you both are adults with busy lives, and you can still value a friendship without interacting every day.

Not every friendship can handle that loose dynamic, however. We don’t know why, but some friendships just can’t move past this phase. It isn’t any one person’s fault; no one wanted this to happen. Maybe they didn’t even realize it happening. They just got together one day and they could tell that the dynamic between them had changed. They can try to mend things, but eventually they may decide that it is best for them both to part ways and move on. The friendship had a good run, but they are both in completely different places, and they need to do what is best for themselves.

There is nothing wrong with ending a friendship if it is no longer good for you or if you are no longer invested in it. You shouldn’t feel like you need to stay friends with someone if it isn’t the best thing for you. Communication is key in these situations, especially if you still want things to end on good terms. Some friends grow apart, and that is okay. There is always a chance they may reconnect in the future.

Jessica Stewart is a junior English major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected]