Student accused of resisting arrest last Tuesday

Corryn Brock, News Editor

An Eastern student was charged with resisting a peace officer.

Jacari W. Neil, a 22-year-old marketing major, is accused of resisting arrest on Nov. 5.

According to the police affidavit, Officer Jeremy Shores with the University Police Department responded to a report of a fight at Immaunel Lutheran Church.

When Shores arrived on scene, he allegedly approached Neil and ordered him to come to his vehicle and Neil allegedly refused to speak to him and began walking away.

In the affidavit, Shores said he attempted to grab Neil’s left arm after telling him to stop walking and Neil allegedly slid out of the sweatshirt he was wearing, causing Shores to fall to his knee.

Shores then stood up and ordered Neil to stop before taking his baton from its holster and ordering Neil to the ground, according to the affidavit.

Neil allegedly refused to comply and, according to the affidavit, Shores struck Neil’s upper thighs three to four times.

Neil then allegedly blocked another attempted strike at his leg before grabbing the baton, which allegedly led to a fight for control of the baton.

In the affidavit Shores said Neil “briefly gained control of the baton and it fell to the ground,” where Shores said he then drew his service weapon and pointed it at Neil’s center mass.

Shores then ordered Neil to the ground and Neil complied, according to the affidavit. Shores said he then waited for another officer to arrive to place Neil in handcuffs.

Neil’s first court appearance is set for Nov. 20 at 9 a.m. in courtroom three of the Coles County Courthouse.

Corryn Brock can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].