Student body president reflects on time at Eastern

Corryn Brock, News Editor

The first semester of Student Body President Carson Gordon’s term is nearing an end as well as her time as an undergraduate at Eastern.

Gordon, a Mattoon native, is a senior political science major with two minors in pre-law and Spanish.

Gordon came to Eastern in 2017 following her high school graduation, and she will be graduating in May after attending Eastern for three years.

Gordon has been involved with Student Senate since she was a freshman.

Gordon said when she started as a senator, she was an introvert.

“I joined student government as a really quiet, shy person. I told all the (current) senators that when I first joined I was absolutely terrified, but it pushed me so far out of my comfort zone, and I made some of the closest friends right now (that) I’m going to have forever,” Gordon said. “Also, it requires you to go out on campus and go to different events, experience different ideas, political beliefs and it really just pushes you to be a better person.”

Gordon said student government also taught her time management and professionalism.

“I came in as most high schoolers; I was horrible at time management, and starting off as a senator I learned how to balance academics on the professionalism side of things, then just continuing on as I took on different roles, I had to expand on that,” Gordon said. “I really say it helped me prepare for the future.”

As for the immediate future, Gordon will be attending Eastern next year to obtain her master’s degree in business administration.

Gordon said after spending her undergraduate years in student government she will not be involved in it after her May commencement.

“I decided that this will be my last year in student government,” Gordon said. “I want to explore new things beyond it as a master’s student, and then I plan to attend law school after I finish my master’s degree.”

After law school, Gordon said there are a number of possibilities of where she could end up.

“I’m not sure exactly where I want to be; I keep changing my mind,” Gordon said. “Especially with this MBA, it opens up a lot of corporate sector jobs, so I’m not sure exactly what it’s going to look like. Hopefully something in public office.”

As her time as an undergraduate student is almost done, Gordon looked back on her favorite thing about Eastern.

“I’ve talked with a lot of people that I went to high school with that went to other universities and they just don’t have the same experience that a student at Eastern has,” Gordon said. “I have professors that I had one time my freshman year that still come up to me and ask me how I’m doing and remember my career plans. It’s nice just having that network.”

For the future of student government, Gordon said it is hoping to see more senators next semester.

On Wednesday, three senators resigned from their positions, but the senate is still above quorum.

Applications for student government can be found on Eastern’s website.

Corryn Brock can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].