Student Senate approves 2 RSOs, accepts resignations

Anya Porter

Student senate presents on how to avoid a burnout during its meeting Wednesday night in the Arcola room. The Senate also approved two new RSOs.

Zoë Donovan, Staff Reporter

Student Senate voted at its Wednesday night meeting to approve registered student organizations, Photography Club and the Society of Model U.N. 

Photography club received a unanimous approval vote.

A representative of the Photography Club was not present at the meeting. 

The Society of Model U.N. received 15 votes of approval and one abstention; senator Keegan Noll abstained from voting on the approval of the Society of the Model U.N. as he acted as one of two representatives of the RSO and is the current vice president of the club. 

Current president of the Society of Model U.N., Aidan Kennedy, a junior economics major, acted as a representative for his student organization. 

The RSO is open to all majors, and will have their first meeting as an officially approved RSO this Friday at 4 p.m. in Coleman room 

During Speaker of the Student Senate Michael Perri’s report, he announced the resignation of three senators, Kourtney Wilham, Brianna Hogan and Jessica Meyer. 

Perri read their resignation letters to the floor of senators and each resigning senator expressed gratitude for their time on the student senate and for the experiences and relationships they made there. 

Perri also announced that his seat as Speaker of the Student Senate would be up for election.

Nominations for the seat will be made at the next meeting on Nov. 13, and voting will take place at the Nov. 20 meeting. 

During Student Body President Carson Gordon’s report, Gordon went over the upcoming student senate election season, requirements and time frames that senators will be able to work within before students can cast a ballot. 

Skylar Coffey, student affairs committee chair, announced the finalized plans for tabling event “Baby it’s Finals Outside” which will take place at the top of the stairs in Coleman Hall on Nov. 19 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Student senators will be at the table passing out free hot chocolate, tea and coffee, along with candy canes and other fixings for the provided drinks. 

Senators will also be passing out informational pamphlets containing several resources available to students on campus, including career services, the food pantry, Soup Stop at the Newman Center, the tutoring center, Health Services and mental health resources. 

Diversity Affairs Chair David Hagler announced that his committee is finalizing plans for the “Break the Chains” event, which will take place on Nov. 19 in McAfee Gym. 

Student senate also heard committee reports from the following: Academic Affairs, Alumni Relations, Business Affairs, Diversity Affairs, External Relations, Internal Affairs, and University Enhancement. 

Zoë Donovan can be reached at 581–2812 or at [email protected].