Student Senate to vote on 2 RSOs

Zoë Donovan, Staff Reporter

Student Senate will vote Wednesday on the approval of two new registered student organizations at its weekly meeting in the Arcola/Tuscola room of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union at 7 p.m.

Samira Abdoulaye-Pedila, student body vice president of student affairs, said the two RSOs seeking approval are Photography Club and Society of Model U.N.

Before RSOs can come before the senate and have their organizations voted on, they must first find members. Currently the senate requires RSOs to have 10 or more members to be considered active.

Once they reach 10 and have found an on-campus adviser, then they need to fill out the constitution template and RSO application and submit it to Student Life Director Ceci Brinker, Abdoulaye-Pedila said.

The RSO’s constitution then goes through several edits and revisions made by senators before they are brought forth to be acted upon.

Representatives from each RSO seeking approval will be present at the meeting Wednesday, provide additional information on their organization to senators and answer questions they might have.

Abdoulaye-Pedila said the senate is currently in the process of revising how RSOs are approved.

“In the past, it has taken about a month or two for an RSO to be approved. Now we’re trying to shrink that time to at least two weeks so that RSOs can get on the ball to planning things,” Abdoulaye-Pedila said.

There are no new appointments listed on the consent agenda.

In the Student Body President Report, Student Body President Carson Gordon will go over the process of senate appointments for the next election cycle, and explain the details listed within the election packets available in the Student Activity Center.

The senate will also hear reports from the executive board as well as the following committees: Academic Affairs, Alumni Relations Business Affairs, Diversity Affairs, External Relations, Internal Affairs, Student Affairs and University Enhancement.

Zoë Donovan can be reached at 581–2812 or at [email protected].