Opinion: How the Beatles still manage to survive

Jaidyn Yarber, Columnist

With masterpieces like “Love Me Do,” and “Come Together,” The Beatles curated a song for just about anyone. Although, I think it’s easier for the majority of people to highly regard them rather than favoring them. They obviously already accomplished the favoring part, and their fandom is still growing.

The Beatles are incapable of going extinct; future generations will still find the band relevant and admirable. The lyrics will still resonate and the charming voices of wordplay will still impress.

The Beatles is the best-selling band worldwide; it’s as if every song they produced was an absolute hit. The instruments, the vocals, the charming members — the English Rock band had it all. The world would not be the same if it weren’t for The Beatles.

The very thought of the universe not being able to jam out to “Across the Universe” is a terrifying one. Can’t we all relate to “A Hard Day’s Night” and “With A Little Help From My Friends?” The ironic side of this is a movie, “Yesterday,” was just released this year, and its plot offers insight to that very scenario. The Beatles have inspired several movies, one of them being my favorite, Across the Universe.

Growing up listening to The Beatles, along with Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, and Janis Joplin gave me the advantage of appreciating them longer and associating memories and significance to the songs, but, unfortunately, I can still only look at them through the kaleidoscope lens of this era. Nowadays, no one can say they’ve since any of these artists live; we have to settle for remastered Spotify playlists, documentaries and recorded Youtube videos.

Ringo Starr and Paul McCartney are still much alive, but their roles in The Beatles as young, handsome men when the world was swooning over them is a thing of the past. Music plays and time carries on; the existence of this generation does not render the ability to adore the same band that past generations did — the same way people still listen to The Beach Boys and Michael Jackson.

In sixty years, it’s a given that the generations to come will still be listening to Drake and 3 Doors Down. Artists just don’t die off that easily, but The Beatles have a better chance to survive given their impact during the duration of their active years.

Jaidyn Yarber is a freshman English major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected]