Dealing with the chicken in the room

Zoë Donovan, Staff Reporter

Chick-Fil-A, a humble chicken chain, was officially started in 1967, in Atlanta, Georgia by Samuel Truett Cathy after the success of his previous business, the Dwarf House.

They seem to be quickly climbing the ladder, and as of April 2018 it was slated at No. 7 in fast food in the country.

The company is known for its chicken sandwiches and waffle fries, and ranks highly on customer service.

One would be hard pressed to say that Chick-Fil-A hasn’t had its own bout of bad press in the last decade or so.

From claims of homophobia in hiring practices to donations of more than $1.8 million to groups that have anti-LGBTQ+ messages and agendas in 2019, the company has definitely seen some concern from its LGBTQ+ customers, as well as boycotts on the national level at different times.

Eastern ranks four out of five stars on the Campus Pride, National Listing of LGBTQ+ Friendly Colleges & Universities.

“The Campus Pride Index is a vital tool for assisting campuses in learning ways to improve their LGBTQ+ campus life and ultimately shape the educational experience to be more inclusive, welcoming and respectful of LGBTQ and ally people,” reads the website that houses the data for this index.

As an Eastern student within the LGBTQ+ community, it feels a bit disconcerting that any of the money from my tuition or housing and dining plan goes to a company with founders who actively believe that “my lifestyle” is an act that worthy of God’s wrath.

“We are inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say ‘we know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage,’” to quote Cathy directly from an interview with the Baptist Press in 2012.

It seems like a bit of a spit in the face as an LGBTQ+ student on a campus that has resources for students like the Trans*formation station, the Center for Gender and Sexual Diversity and then actively give space to a corporation that gives money to groups that are against those sorts of resources.

The company doesn’t ultimately care about consumers after they’ve spent the money and received the product; after that they’ll turn around and give that money to organizations that will work to increase prejudice and lobby against laws in your favor and for laws that will make your existence more difficult.

Zoë Donovan is a junior journalism major. They can be reached at 581–2812 or at [email protected].