When deciding, pick the second choice

Karena Ozier, Columnist

When someone asks me “Where do you want to eat,” the typical response I give is, “I don’t mind. Anywhere is fine.” This is a small part of my indecisiveness. Depending on the situation, when it comes to choices, I can never seem to give one clear response in a timely manner.

While deciding where to eat is a minor choice to make, some bigger decisions need one clear answer. A situational example of a big decision comes from picking out my wedding dress, the day that I have dreamt of and looked forward to for years.

I had done some looking through pictures of online dresses in the style that I had thought I wanted. When I went in to try on dresses, the first dress was in the style I had been looking for. It was beautiful.

I thought that it would be “the” dress, but then I was advised to try on some other options just in case. So, I did. After trying on about five more dresses with mixed emotions, I knew which one I wanted.

The dresses I tried on in between made the decision process harder. More options meant a bigger decision. The second dress I had tried on was not the style I had originally been looking for but it made me feel more like a bride than the one before. Finalizing my decision was the hardest part.

It made it easier once I narrowed down my selection. I had eliminated all other options and was choosing between the first two dresses. While I liked the first dress, I was holding on to the look I thought I wanted. 

In the end, I went with the second dress. I realized that by surprising myself with my choice I liked the dress more and more. I am excited to wear this special dress for my special day. 

Making an initial decision only seemed hard because I was trying to convince myself to get something, I ended up not wanting. I realized that if I had actually liked the first one, then I wouldn’t have convinced myself that trying on more dresses would be for the best. 

I think that a process similar to this can be related to how we make all decisions. The process of having two options and not being sure which one to choose, when broken down, can lead to answer what you want to choose. 

Making decisions comes easier to some more than others. For those simpler decisions that seem like a big deal, make the simple decision simple like they really are. Determining where you want to eat isn’t rocket science and when in doubt, surprise yourself or choose the second option.

Choose something that is out of the ordinary compared to what you normally do. If you wanted to go to the first option, then you wouldn’t have considered the second. Just choose number two. 

Karena Ozier is a sophomore elementary education major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].