Student body president talks plans for semester

John Olson | The Daily Eastern News Student Body President Carson Gordon appoints Miranda Martinez, a sophomore communication disorders & sciences major, into the Student Senate at the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union during the Student Senate meeting.

Zoë Donovan, Staff Reporter

Student Body President Carson Gordon discussed in her report to the Student Senate on Wednesday the importance of the Diversity and Inclusion Dialogue with Jerlando Johnson, a professor in the school of education at the University of Wisconsin.

Johnson has been globally recognized as an organizational scientist, leadership strategist, entrepreneur and university scholar on diversity.

The dialogue will be taking place on Monday, Sept. 30 at 6 p.m. in the University Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Gordon encouraged members of the senate to attend the event.

One of the aspects of student life that Gordon plans to focus on during her presidency is mental health awareness.

In her report she informed senators of her plans to collaborate with student athletes for Mental Health Awareness Week at the end of October.

Gordon said she hopes to have the plans finalized shortly.

Her report also included information on October being the Hunger Action Month.

The senate will be part of a fundraiser to help raise money for food insecurity.

Gordon will be allowing people to pie her in the face on Oct. 21 for $1 per pie for the fundraiser.

Gordon concluded her reports by announcing she would be adding a seat on the President’s Cabinet to include a member from Eastern’s LGBTQ+ group, Pride.

Kathleen Conlin, student body executive vice president, was not present for the meeting, and Gordon covered the vice president reports as well.

Conlin is organizing EIU Votes events and asked senate members to sign up and participate at the upcoming events.

There will be senators at the Union Food Court Thursday from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. encouraging students to register to vote.

Other events for EIU votes will take place Oct. 1 and 3, from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Coleman Hall.

Conlin is also looking to create a map of the area to help inform students of where they will be able to vote on election day.

Noor-ul-Haash Khamisani, vice president of academic affairs, asked senators to pass out flyers about Prowlin’ with the Prez for Oct. 29, in which they plan to paint pumpkins.

Samira Abdoulaye-Pedila, vice president of student affairs, reported the appointment of Senators Seth Yeakel, Grant Johnson and Theodore Laleian to the Apportionment Board.

The first meeting of the Apportionment Board will take place on Oct. 3 at 7 p.m. in the 1895 room of the Union.

New Senator Miranda Martinez was sworn in by Gordon.

Michael Perri, speaker of the student senate, went over the committee chairs and members, Committee chairs include: Academics Affair chair, Seth Yeakel; Alumni Relations chair, Brianna Hogan; Business Affairs chair, Randall Becker; Diversity Affairs chair, David Hagler; External Relations chair , Zoey White; Internal Affairs chair, Elizabeth Stephens; Student Affairs chair, Skylar Coffey; and University Enhancement chair, Zack Archey.

There were no reports from Faculty Advisor, Ceci Brinker or graduate assistant, Sophia Sarver.

As it is still early in the year there was no old or new business, and nothing was voted on during the meeting.

Zoë Donovan can be reached at 581–2812 or at [email protected].