CAA talks learning goals in general education

Logan Raschke, Managing Editor

The Council on Academic Affairs heard the assessment practices review committee’s consensus that undergraduates’ learning goals should be assessed at the general education level rather than the major level.

Logan Raschke
Stacey Ruholl, council member for the Council on Academic Affairs and director of adult fitness, listens to Marita Gronnvoll, chair of CAA and communication professor, at Thursday’s council meeting. CAA approved all executive actions and discussed learning goals in general education.

Billy Hung, council member and professor for the biology department, said the point of assessing learning goals in general education is to ensure that those goals are being promoted for students. The question is how to control those goals and ensure they are met if students, like transfers, are coming to Eastern at different periods.

Marita Gronnvoll, council chair and professor for the communication department, said the estimation of these learning goals in general education is beneficial for programs that have accreditation.

Gronnvoll said a “mechanism” for this consensus regarding learning goals in general education is in the works.

Rebecca Throneburg, council member and professor for communication disorders and sciences, said emphasizing that learning goals should be “strongly enforced” instead of required is important.

CAA voted to revise HTM 1275: HTM Practicum because parts of the course were still similar to family and consumer sciences.

The purpose of the 1000-level course is to “provide our majors some exposure to the industry,” said Richard Wilkinson, council member and coordinator for the hospitality and tourism program.

CAA voted to approve all executive actions.

The course HSL 4775 will be added to the accelerated graduate program for the master’s degree in human services program administration.

The course number for NUR 3203 will get changed to NUR 2613 into the bachelor’s in health promotion: community health option, the bachelor’s in health promotion: emergency management & disaster preparedness option, the bachelor’s in recreation administration: therapeutic recreation option and the bachelor’s in nutrition & dietetics.

Prerequisites will be modified for MIS 4700.

Online delivery will be added for ANT 3960A, B, D-F, H-M, O-Q, T-Y: Special Topics in Anthropology.

Possible credits for CHM 4800 will be changed from 1-3 to 1-4.

The MAT 1330 (or MAT 1400) prerequisite will be eliminated from GEO 4850, and CHM will be changed from 1410 to 1310/1315.

The course GIS 5970z: Special Topics in GIS will be changed in order for students to take the class more than once for credit.

Logan Raschke
Marita Gronnvoll, chair of the Council on Academic Affairs and communication professor, addresses the council during its Thursday meeting.

All prerequisites associated with the following courses in Banner will be enforced: MAT 1271 and MAT 2250G (MAT1270 prerequisite); MAT 1330, MAT 1400, MAT 2110G, MAT 2120G (MAT 1271 prerequisite); and MAT 1441G (MAT 1330 and MAT 1400 prerequisites).

Online delivery will be added for PLS 3603: State and Local Government.

The course title of PLS 4823 will be changed from “International Policy Issues” to “Comparative Public Policy.”

The course EIU 4167G: The Meaning of Life will now count as an upper-level elective for Philosophy.

An enrollment restriction will be removed for MUS 2555G: Interacting with Music and MUS 2557G: The History of Jazz and Rock.

CAA’s next meeting will take place in the Edgar Room of Booth Library Sept. 26.

Logan Raschke can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].