Students share semester goals

Allison Little, Reporter

Several Eastern students share their experience with goal setting and whether or not setting goals are helpful or stressful. 

Christos Kyrillou, a sophomore kinesiology and sports recreation major, said goals were something he found to be helpful in his life and with his schedule.

“I think it’s more helpful, especially to me as a student athlete; I set both goals in my sports and in my academics as well,” Kyrillou said. “I think it’s more helpful because you have more of a plan; you’re ahead of other students, I guess, and you’re better organized.”

He shared his personal academic goal—to do well in classes and maintain a good GPA.

“I want to get a 4.0 GPA in my academics,” he said, “so I hope it ends up well.”

Megan Foster, a sophomore art education major, said setting good goals was helpful for her, but it could get a little stressful. 

“I think it’s really helpful for me because it helps me have priorities, but it can be stressful if you procrastinate on those goals,” Foster said. “But having goals is important to know where you’re going and where you want to go.”

Foster said her academic goals consisted of staying focused and keeping up her grades.

“I would like to maintain a pretty good GPA,” Foster said. “I think it’s just making sure that I’m actually staying committed to learning the material and not just attending that class and pretending to be there when I’m not mentally there.” 

Junior English major Kayla Guyton said having academic goals does the opposite of helping her.

“I find it stressful,” Guyton said. “I go with the flow because I’m already stressed out about classes, so to set a goal for that class is like, ‘Oh my god. What am I going to do now?’”

Guyton said personal goals were something that everyone should strive for.

“I think everyone needs a goal within their life, like, you have a five-year goal, a 10-year goal; you need that because you have to look forward to something,” Guyton said.

Guyton said she has set personal goals for the semester that are not connected to her academics.

“I do have personal goals,” she said. “My personal goal is to make sure I’m financially stable so I don’t have to worry about finances this semester.”

Kyrillou said his personal goal was to do well on the Tennis team. 

“I want to get in the lineup,” Kyrillou said. “I’m not sure if I’m in or not, but I’m going to try to be.”

Allison Little can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]