RSOs, clubs to mingle at Student Involvement Fair

Hannah Shillo, Associate News Editor

Eastern students have heard about getting involved on campus, and Tuesday they can start by attending the Student Involvement Fair at the Library Quad from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.

In case of rain, the fair will move into the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Formerly known as PantherPalooza, the Student Involvement Fair is considered an Eastern campus tradition where over 200 of the registered student organizations can showcase and introduce themselves to students.

This year, the Student Life Office, Student Government and the Office of Civic Engagement and Volunteerism are hosting the event.

In addition to the RSOs on display, the flyer for the fair said other Eastern departments and Charleston community non-profits and businesses would be available to talk to students. 

The flyer said there will be food and giveaways at the fair as well.

Students can get information on multicultural, governance, religious, academic and service organizations at the fair. 

Keegan Noll, a sophomore political science major, said he will be attending the first hour of the fair and provide information to students about the University Baptist Church.

He said he would encourage students to attend to see what Eastern has to offer.

“I’d say keep your eyes peeled for stuff (to get involved in),” Noll said. “There are a lot of different organizations on campus.”

Students can look at multicultural organizations at the fair, including the Black Student Union, TRiO, EIU Pride, the African American Association, the Asian Student Association and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

EIU Student Government, University Board and the Residence Hall Association are some of the governing organizations that will be at the fair. 

Some of the community non-profits and businesses, including CASA of East Central Illinois, HOPE of East Central Illinois, Charleston Carnegie Library, Camp New Hope, Mattoon Academy of Gymnastics, City of Charleston Tourism, Lincoln Log Cabin Foundation and Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Mid-Illinois will also be at the fair.

Academic organizations, including the National Society of Collegiate Scholars, EIU Political Science, Philosophy Club, Exercise Science Club and iStem, will also attend. 

Tytiana Jemison, a junior public relations major, said she just transferred to Eastern this year and will attend the fair to find out what types of groups she wants to be a part of.

“I want to learn about a couple sororities,” Jemison said. “I don’t want to apply to be in one this semester, but next semester I want to.”

Jemison said she has kept to herself mostly during the week and has relied on being social during the weekends.

She said she wants to change that and be social more often, and she thinks that would be beneficial for other students to try, too. 

“If you join a club, you’ll meet other people who have those same interests,” Jemison said. “You can make friends that way because you’ll be meeting up every week.”

Hannah Shillo can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].